Cutting along the flat side of a horizontal mill.

agfrvf

Registered
Registered
I want to cut a precise slot on my horizontal, however no tooling exists for the width I need. Can I skim .010 off with the flat face to the side?

Not with a slitting saw; what width are you looking for?

0.105 I have a 3/32" cutter with edges up the side.

It is unlikely that either a plain slitting saw or a slitting saw with side teeth would do the set over without making a tapered cut. It is likely that you could find a .100" width saw; redesign? Or a .125" saw could be ground down to .105", but it would need to be hollow ground to work well.

Can you rotate the work piece 90 degrees so the face where you want the slot is facing the spindle and cut the slot with an end mill in a holder or collet? That's what I would most likely try...

Or, if you need the slot facing up for some reason, can you make a fly cutter out of a HSS tool bit to cut the slot? You might need to make a holder for it that will fit on your bar. And, you would have to feed it slow, but it should work in a pinch.

Just a couple of thoughts to throw at you,
Ted

I'm not fully understanding exactly what you're intending to cut, but if you need a slot .105" I would use the closest size under the total width desired then move over the additional amount and make a second cut to finish the job. An example would be to use a 1/16" slitting saw with one edge oriented to the edge of your intended slot for the first cut. Then move over .052 and make a second cut. You can use any undersized cutter and move over the proper amount to make the finished size.

Can you rotate the work piece 90 degrees so the face where you want the slot is facing the spindle and cut the slot with an end mill in a holder or collet? That's what I would most likely try...

Or, if you need the slot facing up for some reason, can you make a fly cutter out of a HSS tool bit to cut the slot? You might need to make a holder for it that will fit on your bar. And, you would have to feed it slow, but it should work in a pinch.

Just a couple of thoughts to throw at you,
Ted
My machine spins up to 1200rpm. I don't think an endmill would work.

My boring bar holding a form tool in the collet chuck was my fly cutting idea.

Fyi I am cutting 4140

1/16" carbide endmill, 1200 rpm, coolant, it'll work. Is it just one slot or a thousand?
Mark

Back