Cutting Aluminum on the Home Shop Table Saw.

I've heard of reversing a blade to cut sheet metal but they are referring to a fine toothed plane steel blade, NOT CARBIDE. I use a special fit for purpose blade in the skill saw when cutting steel roofing. They're about 5 inch dia (reduces sfpm) all steel with teeth that have a slight negative cutting angle to stop grabbing. They cut great, very little burring, and cut an incredible amount of material per blade.

Greg

My son in law is a contractor. The reverse an 80 tooth blade to cut siding. They do this so it will not damage the siding at the end of the cut. Don't for any reason reverse the blade in the table saw. When the blade is reversed only the very tip (high point) is cutting.

"Billy G"

I built a number of skiffs out of .125 and .090 5052 aluminum sheet stock and used a regular cheap carbide tipped blade wood blade in a circular saw and a table saw for cutting. I have used a dedicated aluminum blade and it was just not worth it.

Aluminum cuts pretty much like plywood glasses and a face shield always be prepared for a kick backs.

Bob

Well, I guess I'm the careless type.
Here I am cutting 20mm thick aluminum with my cheap circular saw using a carbide tipped blade ment for cutting wood.
Like a hot knife through butter :)

ChuckBase01.jpg

ChuckBase01.jpg

ChuckBase01.jpg

ChuckBase01.jpg

+
I just found this thread.
My god.
To use a power tool or equipment for some thing it is not intended ?

Granted I have used a scroll saw for thin alu.

Table saws and Skill saws scare the heck out of me, ( seen an accident in high school shop class not pretty.. )

IMO this is like using a framing hammer As a center punch.

I shudder to think of the injuries.....

If you cut aluminum with a skilsaw, it dulls standard 24T blades pretty quick. On thin sheets, Zip-Cuts work ,too.

Back