cutting angle on the mill with angle blocks

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
So I've got a piece of 3/8 flat I want to cut a 60 degree included angle I've got it set up in the vise with a 30 degree angle block what I'm wondering is best placement of the cutter i have a 1/2 4 flute rougher should I simply center it over the stock or should I have it offset to the side thanks for your input :) 20170721_000855.jpg

There is way to much stick out above the vise.
You will likely get alot of chatter and break your endmill, even worse send it flying.
Consider allowing it to overhang the edge of the jaws so you only get the standard height extending above the jaws.
Make sure she is tight in the vise or she will move.
Do not use a hammer to tighten your vise.

As always, please defer to the actual machinists who hang out here at HM.

Daryl
MN

That part can easily move in the vise while cutting it. First, reduce the amount sticking out of the chuck to just enough to make the cut without danger of cutting the vise. Next, pay attention to the way the cutter is going to cut the work. Make the setup so the cutting pressure is against the vise jaws, not pushing the work parallel to the vise jaws.

Because you will probably need to clamp the part to one side of the vice to get it low enough you should have a part of equal thickness
on the other side of the vise to avoid stressing the vise and this will also provide better gripping power.
It might also be possible to rotate the part 90deg with the machined edge sticking out to the side of the vice and use the
edge flutes to cut the angle. This would give a better finish.

Moving it down in the vise like Daryl and Bob suggest would be great.
Other than that I would bring the table out and mill about 1/2 of that with the first pass on the left side then bring table back out and make the second pass.
That would be conventional milling and if anything moved it moves down away from the end mill instead of up into it causing disaster.

Turn the part 90 degrees in the vise and use the side of the cutter. Safer and a nicer finish. And more clamping force in the vise. I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are better off using a tilting angle table so you can clamp the work solidly in the vise. Otherwise, a piece sticking out that much will probably move.

If you cut the waste portion down to only clean up to size the set up should be ok. Hacksaw , bandsaw , chop saw. What material are you cutting aluminum if you take small cuts it would work , steel it will vibrate and move.
I'd cut it off an 1/8" or less above the line and mill it slowly to size.
You could change the set up to the end of the vise reverse the angle and use the side of the endmill to cut it all would be supported in the jaws but the cutoff part and an 1/8" from jaws.

Last edited:
Back