Cutting big stainless table top

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So,

I have this really cool workbench that I've had for like 15 years now.

newoldbench.jpeg

And this stainless steel top that's always been just a little to big for it.

tabletop.jpeg

The workbench is about 7' x 30" and the stainless table top is 8' x 3'. I've never tried to cut it down because I had more room in my old shop so I just let it hang over the sides. Now I want to trim it to size but since I don't have a CNC plasma cutter or a giant metal sheer I'm looking for ideas on how to cut it. In the past I've used a friction blade in a circular saw but this seems like it might just be too much for that approach.

Thanks,

john

Honestly, take it somewhere. Cutting stainless of any significant thickness is really tough - and impossible if it hardens due to cutting heat.

I would try one (or two) of these in an old circular saw on a track. Even if you burn up a blade or two, it will likely cost you less than taking it to some fabrication shop.

Well, once again the cheapest tool in the shop gets it done:encourage:

#HarborFreight
#4.5"AngleGrinder
#giterdone

Thanks for the tips everyone!!!!
I sure would have loved to go out and buy a plasma cutter but it just wasn't in the budget for this job. Freehand cuts with the angle grinder worked out great, even figured out that by cutting part way through in several spots I could keep everything together until I was ready to finish the cut.

Cheers,

John

So,

I have this really cool workbench that I've had for like 15 years now.

View attachment 295555

And this stainless steel top that's always been just a little to big for it.

View attachment 295556

The workbench is about 7' x 30" and the stainless table top is 8' x 3'. I've never tried to cut it down because I had more room in my old shop so I just let it hang over the sides. Now I want to trim it to size but since I don't have a CNC plasma cutter or a giant metal sheer I'm looking for ideas on how to cut it. In the past I've used a friction blade in a circular saw but this seems like it might just be too much for that approach.

Thanks,

john
I totally agree with KB58. I would hate to screw up that table top.

Well, once again the cheapest tool in the shop gets it done:encourage:

#HarborFreight
#4.5"AngleGrinder
#giterdone

View attachment 295585

Thanks for the tips everyone!!!!
I sure would have loved to go out and buy a plasma cutter but it just wasn't in the budget for this job. Freehand cuts with the angle grinder worked out great, even figured out that by cutting part way through in several spots I could keep everything together until I was ready to finish the cut.

Cheers,

John
you was lucky

Maybe it's not clear from the picture but the table isn't solid 1" stainless. It's 16 gauge sheet that was probably used as a morgue slab at one time. Richl had it right, since it's not for a customer I really didn't have anything to loose by cutting it myself. I got up this morning and did a small test cut to make sure the cutting disk would get through it and had it done, including cutting the birch plywood piece before I finished my second cup of coffee.

I really like the little HF grinders though. I usually keep three at all times, one with the stock grinding wheel, one with a flap disk, and one with a thin cutoff wheel. That cutoff wheel goes through 1/2" thick hot rolled tube or angle quicker than my 14" friction saw. It's kinda crazy but for $12 how can you go wrong?

Cheers,

John

I totally agree with KB58. I would hate to screw up that table top.

Yes, that's what I was concerned with and also why I never tried cutting it before. Worked out good though and it only cost one cutoff wheel:grin:

john

I concur on the HF grinders. One thing I do with all their electric tools, is to disassemble, and remove all the so called grease they use and replace with some good moly fortified grease. They seem to instantly run better and quieter, and will probably last longer. Mike

Back