cutting both ways

hss cutter

Registered
Registered
So my 10f has started cutting when i roll back to the tail stock. Something is loose but i be danged if i can find it if i do a .010 cut to the chuck when I go back to tail stock i get drag. I have redone all the gibs can't see any movement. I am using a know live center .Anyone else have this preamble.

This is normal. Tool pressure creates a slight deflection of the work and/or the tool. On the reverse journey, the pressure is relieved so the tool cuts slightly deeper. This is the reason for a spring pass when finishing a cut.

On the reverse journey, I have found that if I pull back on the tool post with my hand, it provides enough clearance to avoid the track.

Leaving the tool in contact with the work on the way out leads to excessive flank wear and premature dulling of the tool, and this applies to both HSS and carbide tooling. Best practice is to back the tool away from the work and then move it back.

Your cutter is dull. Therefore it is not cutting as deep as a new sharp one. This makes the deflection worst and the return trip shows more up then usual. Always back the tool away from the work if returning to start position or stopping.
Pierre

Back