Cutting Carbide???

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have some large selection of solid carbide endmills that are in good condition except that they are severely chipped at the ends. I also have a CutterMaster endmill sharpener with a diamond wheel that does a good job sharpening carbide endmills. What I would like to do is cut off the tips of the endmills and resharpen them. There is just too much material to cut through to sharpen them as is. So today I picked up a 4.5" tile wet saw to try out my idea. Yes I can cut the tips off, but it takes a very long time, so I am looking for a way to speed up the process. Does anyone have experience cutting metal with a diamond saw? The blade I am using is for masonry, tile and stone. It is about .125" thick. I have been looking for a metal cutting diamond saw blade. All I can find are segmented and for dry use. I would prefer a continuous blade, but I am not finding any. Ideally I need a 4.5" wet cutting diamond blade about 0.060" thick. Does anyone know where I might find such? Or does anyone have any input on how I might get these carbide endmills functional again.

Thanks
Randy

Last edited:
A bit of a wild hair, but inexpensive to try ($10) ... the replacement blade kit for the HF circular saw blade sharpener includes a 4" diamond disk.

https://www.harborfreight.com/repla...-volt-circular-saw-blade-sharpener-98862.html

I use those on their crappy little 4”unit tablesaw for sharpening and grinding my own small boring bars. It’s the only thing I recommend it for lol unless your making popsicle stick houses lol. For that kind of thing it works well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use the hf diamond blade to sharpen brazed carbide lathe bits. It works very well but I haven't tried to use it as a saw. I bet it will work.
Georgia Grinding Wheels has all kinds and sizes of diamond cutoff wheels but they ain't cheap.
Chuck

Last edited:
I contacted Hi-Tech Diamond and got one of their red diamond thin kerf blades. We'll see that works when it arrives.
Thanks for the replies.
Randy

Back