Cutting clock gears

Fantastic info Brian!

I tried to rent WR Smith's video on cutting clock gears and I am still waiting for it. This helps.

Nelson

Great information Brian,
I've taken it all in I appreciate your photos as well they tell so much thanks.
I did cut gears in my fitting and turning apprenticeship a long time ago will have to retrain.
Good stuff ifredaj.

Disaster!! one day after posting.
Andrea the 11 year old lad who is making this clock returned to the shop to finish this wheel, and at one point he forgot to turn the sector arm on.
The groan could be heard for miles,Not a happy lad, even less happy when i told him to go 1 tooth back and then finish the job.
I felt It was cruel to take photos At this point .

I set up a small end mill and cut out the bad tooth to twice its depth. (This did not help the lads composure)

I cut a piece to fit the gap but left a handle on it so I could controll it, Tinned the mating surfaces and soldered the plug in place with a small gas torch.

At this point the discoloring ,solder etc, got to mutch for Andrea and he left the shop in dispair.

P1011438.JPG

The gear cutter was replaced and indexed and zero'd on a good tooth , then moved into position, light cuts where
taken until the depth read zero, the wheel removed and cleaned up

I took it to Andrea so he could get a nights sleep.

BRIAN.

P1011438.JPG P1011451.JPG

Incredible work. I have cut a few simple gears using a single point cutter and an indexing head. But nothing like these. Can you post a picture of your setup? Would love to see. it.

Jeff

Hi jeff

I cut gears either on the mill or the lathe, I prefer the mill but care has to be taken when transfering the blank from the lathe to the mill. I have DRO's on the mill it helps a lot!
If you need more info feel free to ask.
BRIAN

P1010291.JPGP1011410.JPGP1010276a.JPG

P1010276a.JPG P1010291.JPG P1011410.JPG

Brian, Bravo! Great story and information! Thank you!

I would LOVE to see your setup for gearmaking.

:tiphat:Nelson

PS Mother in law is Sicilian, from Polizzi Generoso

Hi Nelson .
I live about 45 miles from Polizzi Generoso as the crow flies, but by our roads its more like 65.
so if you are ever over here let me know. Best regards Brian.

Nice work Brian.
I was on ebay yesterday and on guy from China has a lot of clock making stuff. I do remember he had a set of gear cutters for $230, thats why I noticed them, LOL

Dave

Back