Cutting down DRO Scales?

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a set of IGaging Easy-View DRO's to add to my RF30/31. I need to cut them down if possible. My question is this; can I cut the aluminum scales? and if so are there any precautions I need to know about?

I have cut both the magnetic/aluminum scales and glass scales. I would recommend taping the scales before cutting and go slow. All of the times I have done it, I have used a bandsaw with a fine blade and went very slow. Keep in mind, It is not recommended to cut them so there is a chance you could ruin them. It worked for me.

I did it with my stainless steel Igaging dro. had not problems

Thanks for the replies. I have some material for the z mount. Guess I'll work on this project next.

Yesterday I cut 7" off of an aluminum 24" generic DRO (same as iGaging) using a razor saw. No problem. I also recently cut about 3/4" off of a Harbor Freight caliper with a grinder and no problem.

Glen

I'm doing the same to my CM RF-30 clone, had to cut an inch and a quarter off of the 24" X scale to make the fit right, just used a hand hacksaw (carefully) and hand filed the edges it works fine...........The 12" Y was easy peazy.......The 6" Z scale will have to
be cut also, just gotta decide the way I want to mount it yet ............

Back