Cutting/Drilling a Caliper

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am think about using a caliper as a DRO for my drill press:

27869478937_436f7604c5_b.jpg

I am working on a mounting scheme. Is there any problem with cutting off either end of the caliper? I was thinking about cutting off the end with the two small holes and drilling a single mounting hole centered to the beam. I know these are capacitive but I am not sure exactly how they work and what would damage them? Who has experience with this?

Robert

I've seen guys drill a hole in each jaw, then place the holes on a pin or screw them down. This works well for a lathe tailstock.

I did something similar, using 4” digital caliper from HF, I made a dro for my tailstock on my lathe. No problems with it working afterward, just had a hard time drilling through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The depth rod is in the center so a center hole is out, may need carbide drills , don’t think ied cut the end off.

Thanks for the replies. The depth rod has already been removed. This stuff is not that hard; I have drilled one before but on the opposite end. Any one know about cutting the end off?
Robert

Thanks for the replies. The depth rod has already been removed. This stuff is not that hard; I have drilled one before but on the opposite end. Any one know about cutting the end off?
Robert

I haven't tried it, but I've read about people cutting the iGauging style capacitive scales without issues.

You should easily be able to cut parts off, use an abrasive cutoff wheel, I did so with a couple of defunct dial calipers, used the remains to measure through holes and internal recesses ( I locked the measurements in place, then measured them with another caliper or mike.)

Reactions: TTD
I am think about using a caliper as a DRO for my drill press:
I am working on a mounting scheme. Is there any problem with cutting off either end of the caliper? I was thinking about cutting off the end with the two small holes and drilling a single mounting hole centered to the beam. I know these are capacitive but I am not sure exactly how they work and what would damage them? Who has experience with this?
Robert
Here is the advanced version... ;)

Yes that eBay caliper would have worked but I like the larger display on the Titan.
Also, this particular caliper was really hard, not just Chinese hard. The last one I cut was not so hard. I will be drilling a hole in one end of the scale with carbide. I hope that will not damage the functionality.
Robert

Back