Cutting/Drilling a Caliper

Over the years I have modified several calipers to make cheap digital tail stocks and quills. The first thing I learned was that those cheap Chinese calipers have some pretty good steel in them. I just couldn't drill through them. My work around was to grind slots in them with an angle grinder.

Randy

Over the years I have modified several calipers to make cheap digital tail stocks and quills. The first thing I learned was that those cheap Chinese calipers have some pretty good steel in them.
Randy
I made a digital tailstock scale a while back but used a plastic digital caliper, got the idea on youtube.
These plastic calipers are inexpensive and can be cut very easily, I used my portaband to cut mine but a hacksaw will do the job just as well:s-l1600.jpg

Cutting oil and carbide....
Robert

If you remove the thin self-adhesive cover, you'll see a thin glass piece with "T" and inverted "T" features - thin photo-etched conductive material. This is what the read head couples to capacitively. It can be cut with a Dremel diamond disk. Might be a crummy cut, so you should leave as much extra as possible. Once you've cleared away the glass "scale," you can cut through the hardened stainless steel bar with a Dremel abrasive disk. Use a carbide or good quality HSS drill to make any necessary holes in the bar.

If you remove the thin self-adhesive cover, you'll see a thin glass piece with "T" and inverted "T" features - thin photo-etched conductive material. This is what the read head couples to capacitively. It can be cut with a Dremel diamond disk. Might be a crummy cut, so you should leave as much extra as possible.

Support the glass bar with something that can be both firm and gentle at the same time. You really don't want the glass to break.
The first thing that came to mind was Play-Doh.

Glass? I drilled a .250 hole in this and did not see any glass. There was a layer of copper. There is no way HSS was going to drill this. It was tough with carbide.
42040434344_866909651d_b.jpg

Robert

My mistake regarding the glass. Some (higher precision?) DRO scale bars do have glass "scales" inside. Guess yours used a thin PC board clad with copper. I was going worst case scenario. My bad.

As for drilling, you'd originally said it was easy (Post #5):
This stuff is not that hard; I have drilled one before but on the opposite end. Any one know about cutting the end off?
Robert

In any case, I'm happy to see you got 'er done!

These seem to vary in hardness. Years ago I drilled one of the same brand and model using HSS. This time I had to use carbide and even dulled one of those! Must be getting better with quality control of hardening!
Robert

The Titans are on sale. I paid $20 shipped on Amazon.
Robert

Back