Cutting Gears. Diametral

34_40... The thread was already posted here https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/miter-gear-cutting.69779/

Given the nature of open forums, I won't be posting more tutorials but, I'm still working on projects at home and will show them when they're done.

Ray

I hope your position about tutorials fades away in time. I know they take a lot of effort and time to produce but are much appreciated by many of us.

IMHO, the best way to deal with the offending "element" is to ignore it (don't reply) for minor irritations. As I understand it, the "element" in question authored decidedly unfriendly messages but the rules were not enforced and the author was not banned. As it stands, the "element" is free to post,
Ray is understandably discouraged and the rest of us won't benefit from new tutorials from Ray in future. Not the finest outcome.

All, Be apprised that my full-time day job is eating me alive and spare time simply does not exist. The time required to take pictures, do the write-ups, proof-read it etc was doubling the time of my projects. ...And yes, it seems someone made it their mission to discredit everything I presented. It was happening in the gear threads and in others of mine. When that happened, I noticed a very sharp decline in the number of views of all my threads. Add it all up... I got bigger fish to fry and ways to spend my time. So, until my personal circumstances change (and I'm working on that too) I'm just going to check-in with the staff daily (I'm a staff member here) and on weekends will respond to posts that have finite answers.

If anyone has a specific question and you think I can help, just send a PM or direct email. I'm pretty sure it's posted here somewhere.

Ray C.

Makes we want to cut some! Great explanation!
Robert

Makes we want to cut some! Great explanation!
Robert

LOL: You're much better off finding what you need in McMaster Carr, Grainger etc...

If you're so inclined (and I'm serious about this) buy a basic-form gear and read about the types of tooth modification that are commonly done. All the action is at the tip and tiny changes can extend gear performance incredibly. Then, you can have a gear that suits your needs (aka, torque, speed, noise etc).

Ray

Thanks Ray , I have some gears to make too. I have a big drill press and the raising gears on the head and table had been removed before the press arrived at my shop. HGR sale , but it's power down feed makes it worth fixing . So I've got two boxes and the spline gears one gear with broken missing teeth another with just no gear. I had planned to just braze it up and hand machine it , die grinder and files. But then I found a small dividing head cheap and started watching and buying 10 dp x 14 1/2 degree cutters on eBay . But now I'm down on hold just hoping to do all I still want to do in the shop. So thank you for helping us here.

RayC
An exellent thread by yourself on gear cutting ,I remember when I first dabbled in gear cutting some time back your help and knowledge was extremely helpful back then also on getting started .In the end I managed to get a handle on it pretty much straight away on gear cutting and like yourself I used module cutters to get the job done .
For any one wanting to have a go at cutting gears ,I will let you know I managed to cut a few gears without drama after reading Ray's advice and a few others that contributed ,I had never used my dividing head before and dove straight in but once you get the formulas in your head and be thoruogh with set up it is actually reasonably easy and quite an achievement in the end result.pictures below are of the first gears I ever cut using No1 module cutters ,I have since ordered 1.5 and No2 module cutters as the module cutters can be brought quite cheaply of eBay and various other sights .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back