Cutting Hardened Steel

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a job that requires cutting a 1/16" retainer ring groove in a 1.5" hardened shaft. This is at the end of a $600.00 part so I don't want to screw it up.

What's the best way to do it, or is it even possible?

Tool post grinder in a lathe.

I did a similar thing with my Dremel tool cut-off wheel held firmly in my compound, though it was a smaller diameter and much less expensive part.

John

Sorry, not enough info. Like, just how hard is it? If you just want to play it safe. Then yes, grinding as opposed to tool cutting, would be the choice.

Here's the piece I did before cutting the retaining ring groove. Chinese ballscrew so fairly hard part.

IMG_7247.JPG

Tool like this.

serveimage.jpeg

John

Don't know exactly how hard but a file skates over it and won't make an impression even when pressed hard.

The part is a cluster gear from a tractor transmission. The transmission is (now) designed to not require the retainer. To use the new part without the retainer would require the purchase of an additional $2000.00 worth of parts.

The "easy" solution is to cut the retaining ring in a new cluster gear.

So you could go through three of these and still be under what it would cost otherwise?

Assuming you have the lathe and a dremel you can rig something to your compound and try it out with a test piece. Once you're confident go ahead and do your part.

John

If you don't have a toolpost grinder, either buy one or take the job to a machine shop that has one. I found mine on eBay,

I would try putting jaw covers on your chuck to not scratch or marr your 600 dollar lead-screw. I’d use a reinforced cut off wheel or a carbide parting tool.

I would use a parting tool with a carbide insert. My insert would cut a .080" groove. If you use a grinding wheel, make sure that the load bearing side of the groove is not beveled.

Back