CUTTING KEYWAYS IN A PULLEY!!!

Hi Guys,
Only just in the door and i am back again ! I am thrilled at the various ingenious approaches everyone has brought up, and the nice finishes on the workpiece, which in the case of the home shoppers, is more in line in most cases with the small jobbing shops of some years back, where quality &craftsmanship, not to forget individuality reigned supreme.
It is on occasions when i have to cut a keyway, i realise how lucky i am in being the owner of an old last war Denham of Halifax, slotting machine, When i obtained this machine it was worn on the ram, and i was fortunate to get a man to slideway grind it for me, & i used the ram to scrape the column slideways to alignment It certainly paid off
Prior to this period, i always either racked the saddle of the lathe back and forward, or alternatively used the shaper with a cutter bar, and locked the clapper box down

As a workholding fixture, i had a cast (fairly substantial )aluminium angle plate, with a hole in the centre This old angle plate, was the product of a quick lunch break excercise, Believe it or not the foreman joined in as well, The old firm did not mind the occasional "Chinese Government Contract" as long as the privilidge was not abused or one asked to make something the size of Titanics anchor

Even using the slotting machine, which is a heavy solid machine, On the last cuts, like you folks, i let the tool take some cuts at the final line without any feed application, this leads to a nice parallel keybed make haste slowly

Does anyone have a slotting attachment for their milling machines? This is a handy thing, In the old factory i worked for one of these was set up and its task, was paring square holes in valve handwheels

Dan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back