Cutting Metal inside an Electron Microscope

Watched that when it came up in my feed several days ago. Quite interesting. He has a lot more patience than I do as it is a sequence of still shots with the cutter hand advanced between frames. Does make me wonder how SFPM effects this at a microscopic level.

Watched that when it came up in my feed several days ago. Quite interesting. He has a lot more patience than I do as it is a sequence of still shots with the cutter hand advanced between frames. Does make me wonder how SFPM effects this at a microscopic level.
My first thought when I saw the title was about all the swarf inside the specimen chamber. Shudder. Learning that it was done via stop action was a relief!

Perhaps a series on the effects of water soluble oil coolants?
Firstly - my apologies bringing something so late to the party. The video was only 3 days old, but folk here seem swift off the mark!

I think @Eddyde has a great point about the magnification. Electron Beam microscopes can easily zoom from low magnification, and this is much needed to know where one is going, because it is not easy to know when the magnification is x500 or x1000, but such is just not needed for this scenario.

A macro lens camera mounted on a shaper arm would track with the tool. A lathe version could be mounted on the cross slide. A "without coolant" and perhaps a comparison set with various coolants would be interesting. We should look first. It's the kind of thing that has a good chance of having been done before.

I think real interesting might be softer metals sticking to the cutter, and messing up the finish. Also, about what happens when cutting on cast iron.

I was wondering if an electron microscope is even necessary for that magnification, I think an optical device would suffice?
One of the electron microscope's great advantages is its depth of focus. Optical systems are more limited so high magnification images of scenes that include objects with considerable variation in depth can be difficult or impossible to achieve with them. There are optical "telemiscroscopes" but even so their depth of focus isn't comparable to electron microscopes.

There is also this video:
That shows similar effects. I do not know how this was shot and I cannot find detail of SFPM for example.
Looks like another SEM image. The B/W image, plus the high resolution and good depth of focus, are typical for scanning electron microscopes.

Nice video!

Back