[How do I?] Cutting Off Carbide Endmill Shank

petertha

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a 0.250" shank diameter carbide endmill that I need to make shorter for a specific application. Is there a way to safely lop it off? End condition isn't real important. I have a Makita 4.5" angle/disc grinder with those typical brown/red blades, but will that get through it? I've also seen diamond coated blades, I think they use for tile/stone but I'm not clear if the abrasive is on the edge vs. the face? Would that work?

I have a 0.250" shank diameter carbide endmill that I need to make shorter for a specific application. Is there a way to safely lop it off? End condition isn't real important. I have a Makita 4.5" angle/disc grinder with those typical brown/red blades, but will that get through it? I've also seen diamond coated blades, I think they use for tile/stone but I'm not clear if the abrasive is on the edge vs. the face? Would that work?

I have cut off shanks from a couple of reamers with a Dremel tool. Might work for an endmill. I do not recall cutting carbide though. Dremel sells a diamond cutoff wheel for about $16.00
mike

I think if you just score the outside of the shank( with a diamond wheel hf has them cheap for a dremel) and put it in a vise and smack it with a chunk of wood and a hammer it will snap on the score that is what I would do. but I'm crazy bill

I think if you just score the outside of the shank( with a diamond wheel hf has them cheap for a dremel) and put it in a vise and smack it with a chunk of wood and a hammer it will snap on the score that is what I would do. but I'm crazy bill
^^This

Carbide snaps like glass when scored.

Back