Cutting Oil Container

I have a spill master and one of the children’s paint containers from Amazon. The spillmaster is far superior. I have thought from time to time on making one like Pragmatic Lee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol I have some empty chew cans with velcro on the bottom attached to the top of my lathe one with wd40 and one with tap magic I also have an old mag base up there i just stick the brush handles to

I use an old medicine bottle. I drilled a hole through the cap and stuck an acid brush through. A neodidum magnet in the bottle keeps chips off the bruch and helps keep the bottle upright. Its only spill-proof if I keep the brush/lid on though.

Another inexpensive alternative to the Spillmaster is the spill-proof paint cup available from Lakeshore Learning (a nationwide supplier of school supplies). Here's the link:

https://www.lakeshorelearning.com/product/productDet.jsp?productItemID=1,689,949,371,896,043&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=1408474395181113&bmUID=1519371850665

They're $12.99 + about $5.00 shipping for a set of 10 (various colors of lids), which amounts to $1.80 apiece. You can get individual colors for $1.49 each (+ shipping) or see-thru lids for $1.69 each (+ shipping). Lakeshore also has stores in a number of cities. If you're near one, you can save the shipping cost.

As shown in the photo, you can get an acid brush that's a perfect size for one of these, allowing the cover to be closed with the brush completely inside. The brushes are available in 3-packs from Home Depot. Regular length acid brushes will work, too, and there are features on the lid to keep the brush from rolling away.
kHPIM4575.jpg
As Hozzie mentioned, similar paint cups/pots are available from Amazon (and various other vendors). I've tried some of the others and prefer the Lakeshore cups for two reasons - (1) Most other cups have snap-on lids, which aren't as secure as well as Lakeshore's screw-on. (2) Many of the cups have "living hinge" covers, and the hinge is likely to stop living when exposed to machining fluids. The Lakeshore cup has a molded pin hinge, so I think it's more likely to survive in the shop.

If you want to "gild the lily," you can glue a large washer to the bottom of the cup with "Go2" glue, as shown in the first photo. Or you can drop a washer and/or a magnet inside. The second photo shows some wrought iron rings I found locally at Industrial Metals Supply. The gap in the ring can be adjusted to give a nice, snug fit in the bottom of the cup.
kHPIM4631.jpg

I think it was Keith Rucker that was given a screw cap type of aluminum drink can that was converted for oil duty. Seemed easy enough. My version uses 2 cans though. Cut the top off at the widest diameter of 1 can. Cut the bottom off the other can with about 1/8" of the side still on the bottom. Plop a large heavy washer into the 1st can. press the bottom of the 2nd can bottom side down all the into the 1st can until it bottoms out. Press the top from the 1st can down into the bottom only upside down. Just press it far enough for the lips to be flush with each other.

20161010 017.jpg

20161010 018.jpg

20161010 019.jpg

20161010 021.jpg

Durn, Brockwood ... where the heck do you get screw top beer cans? Do you have a time machine? Or are they unique to Louisiana? I haven't seen those things in years!

Enquiring minds want to know.

hman, these are the 1 liter version that have only been around for a few years as far as I know. They come in 9 & 15 packs. LA is behind on many things though. Is K Rucker's GA lagging as well? Surely Coors isn't selling the south old beer.....

Back