Cutting oil staining

Brandon1

Registered
Registered
As the title suggests . I am having a issue with Rigid's dark cutting oil staining the steel on my lathe and the part I cut or thread. The steel is not rusting it is just stained. What is causing this and what can I do to stop it?

Thanks for any help. How can I remove the stains.

It must be a brand new lathe.:)) My older machines have stains on top of stains. It's the high sulfur content in the oil that's doing it.. Maybe you could rub the oil on all the steel parts so that it's all stained evenly. :dunno:

LOL. It is not a new lathe I bought it used but it is practically new. I figured it was the sulphur or the oil oxidation. Oh well as long as it is normal I won't worry about it.

LOL... I'm glad you took my post with a sense of humor. What I really wanted to say was that "it's a machine tool, not a Maserati", but I didn't want to push the boundary! :rofl:

No harm, I work in a woodward dealing with log truck drivers all day, I have very thick skin and a very little bothers me. Well except for politicians.:angry:

Thanks brother!

:roflmao:

Alternatively WD40 with a scotchbrite pad makes a good stain remover for cutting oils. I wouldn't get crazy with it but large smooth areas that you want clean are easy enough, I use it on my Mill table every so often when I get a little OCD and actually put stuff away.

My new Glacern vice on my mill and my new Gator 6-jaw vice on my lathe both started to stain/discolor when I first got it and was using Union Butterfield cutting oil. I cleaned everything up with some Scotchbrite pads and switched over to SuperKut sulphur based oil from McMaster Carr and it seems to not stain the bare steel of the machines. I have also been using Rapid Tap cutting oil that I got a smokin deal on from a co-worker for a gallon and it works great and doesn't seem to stain or discolor the bare steel.

Back