Cutting oil

Reeltor

Active User
Registered
I have used Oatey brand Dark Cutting Oil for years. I used to find it in the plumbing department at Home Depot and Lowes, with Lowes being a few dollars cheaper. I tried to buy some today and found that the cutting oil is no longer sold in the stores. You can order on-line with free delivery to your local store. I am wondering if they will discontinue carrying it altogether. This is a sulfonated and chlorinated oil and I find that it works well on the mill and lathe. I don't recall seeing any "yellow metal" cautions.
If you need some you might want to order it while the getting is good; 8 dollars and change for a quart.

Go on Amazon and buy Mobil Mobilmet 766 cutting oil. You never go back to Oatly dark cutting oil after trying it.. You'll have to buy a gallon of it, overall, a tad cheaper, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it also, was a plumber for years and cut a lot of threads. Oatey or Ridgid cutting oil work well and are both readily available at plumbing supply houses. Or at least should be!

Go on Amazon and buy Mobil Mobilmet 766 cutting oil. You never go back to Oatly black cutting oil after trying it.. You'll have to buy a gallon of it, overall, a tad cheaper, too.

Ken,

When my gallon Ridgid Extreme ran out I bought some Mobilnet 766. I could not be happier, and you are right, the price point is nice. Even at MSC, the price per gallon is under $17, plus shipping.

When turning barrels I add STP to the 766, the mix enables the oil to stick to the material at moderate speed

Didn't someone on this forum say that chainsaw bar oil was the same thing?

Go on Amazon and buy Mobil Mobilmet 766 cutting oil. You never go back to Oatly black cutting oil after trying it.. You'll have to buy a gallon of it, overall, a tad cheaper, too.
Does it smoke less than than Oatey Dark? That is sometimes a nuisance in my basement shop.

Does it smoke less than than Oatey Dark? That is sometimes a nuisance in my basement shop.
It smokes a little bit to none at all. The wife and kids don't complain like they used to when I used any dark cutting oil including Oatey. Rigid light cutting oil for stainless steel works good too, but not as good as Mobilmet 766.

Back