Cutting Pavers? Harbor Freight 14" Cut-Off Saw?

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm doing a small area in the yard with concrete pavers. I need to cut some. Sure a nice wet saw would be great but they want $75/day to rent and I'm old and don't work so fast anymore so it would probably be needed for about 4 days. I was thinking of buying a cheap 14" cut-off saw at Harbor Freight (#62459) and a diamond blade. Together they would run about the same a s a 2 day rental. Is this a crazy idea?

I've used that logic many times. That is why we can't park in the garage! I'd say it will work for as often as you'll probably use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One thing I have done too is to use a diamond saw in my circular saw while using a garden sprayer to mist water on the blade to keep the dust down. Pavers are pretty thin, you could probably approach them in this manner. Make sure to utilize a GFCI protected circuit though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used old clay pavers dating back to the 1900s to do our sidewalk 30years ago.
Scribed a line with a cheap 90degree square. Then using a wide chisel I hammered a small cut 360 around the block slowly cutting deeper and deeper.
I didn't know how it was supposed to be done. And the internet wasn't option then.
I'm sure they use fancy saws in a production environment.
All this cost me was a day swinging a hammer.

Daryl
MN

I'd say mzayd3 has your answer. You don't have to use a diamond blade, and you don't have to cut right through. For only a few stones you can get an abrasive wheel for concrete, but hey - grab any old wheel cut a good mark and break the paver over a length of round bar. Use a circular saw, or angle grinder- whatever fits the wheel. Of course a respirator, face shield and hearing protection would be highly recommended.

I've got a nice overhead wet saw with a sliding tables. Its so much nicer and easier than anything else its hardly worth considering not having one.

I've used grinders, circular saws, and even a masonry hammer. No more.

If you have 4 days work its probably only one day with a good saw. It really is fast.

I used a really cheap angle grinder with a diamond blade to cut my concrete pavers.
The copious quantity of dust thrown up eventually ruined it but it got the job done.
Use an excellent respirator and full face mask.
A cut half way then snap the rest

I used a really cheap angle grinder with a diamond blade to cut my concrete pavers.
The copious quantity of dust thrown up eventually ruined it but it got the job done.
Use an excellent respirator and full face mask.
A cut half way then snap the rest
I have done/used the same idea and it works for me too!

How's the rental compare with concussion treatment?
rina_takeda.gif

TCB

I'm doing a small area in the yard with concrete pavers. I need to cut some. Sure a nice wet saw would be great but they want $75/day to rent and I'm old and don't work so fast anymore so it would probably be needed for about 4 days. I was thinking of buying a cheap 14" cut-off saw at Harbor Freight (#62459) and a diamond blade. Together they would run about the same a s a 2 day rental. Is this a crazy idea?

Or buy à cheap angle grinder with diamond cutoff saw. I didn't want to use My Good ones so I bought à cheap off the shell one for that work. After using it Cleaned it up and still in Good condition gave to My Son .
Was about 50 US $ total here.
Done same job with it.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

Back