Cutting really straight holes?

Thanks for the great tips on making holes in things! This stage of the project is perfect. 4 holes into t-nuts holding the block down. Everything dropped together perfectly. Spotting drill, then drilled with a cobalt M42 X size drill. I dropped down to about 2000 RPM to lower the pucker factor.

No more crap drill bits. These are from Drill Hog and make the HF set look like I was trying to drill with a screwdriver. Figured I already had them, but no more. I'll use them for wood or something.

Now I need to tinker with the boring head so I can cut counterbores for them. I guess I could use a larger end mill, but I think it will make a good learning project, after testing on scrap of course!

IMG_20180924_220912.jpg

I thought about those counterbore bits Terry. I have heard that CME has decent quality import stuff. I decided I was unlikely to use them enough to make it worth buying them. Now that I've done that I'll spend many hours using the boring head to do it instead. :D

I did the boring with my boring head. I managed to get one of them about 0.050 too deep, but I can work with that. It was my own fault, set the stop for the power feed a little off. Just need to cut down the bolts, then mount the top plate.

IMG_20180926_083844.jpg

Wait, I was actually supposed to use all these things I buy? :grin:

Back