Cutting Roller Chain Sprocket teeth

Sprocket cutters are the same situation as gear cutters, so far as numbers of teeth are concerned; there is whole set of them for various numbers of teeth.

Yes, I'm aware of that but since I'm looking for 35 to 45 tooth sprockets in a 5/8" pitch I only need the one cutter.

You should be able to find a sprocket meant for a weld on hub. Just find one and weld or bolt it to the existing hub.

I just made a blank and got someone with a cnc mill to do the cogs(teeth)

I'm still trying to locate the correct sprocket online, E-Bay etc but if push comes to shove I think I'll buy a tooth cutter for the size of sprockets I need and mill it out of 7075 aluminum (530 chain on this motorcycle) and my mill is a manual Bridgeport clone and that is basically what will be used (although might use the Lathe for some parts of it).
7075 comes in a couple of forms and I'm wondering if there is much difference in machinability between T6 and T651, both of which seem to offer the best properties for what I want in a bike sprocket and are (I hope) faster and easier to machine that steel. Any thoughts or experience out there with these alloys.

I regularly have to source rare sprockets. PBI and Rebel Gears have never let me down.
They had the spec for a first year Kawasaki that only a dozen were made. I love making parts, but sometimes its really just for the exercise.

Well, we found a sprocket, turns out the later series of 350 Yamaha street bikes used the identical mounting and bolt pattern just a different pattern in the lightening holes so I left it. I'll check out those guys if I'm stuck in the future, cheaper and simpler than producing my own. Piece of T6 aluminum was going to cost me $65 (Canadian) just to make one sprocket.

Having owned a couple bikes I know that they are hard on chains and sprockets- probably best to stay with steel anyhow

Back