Cutting sort stock on 7 x 12 horizontal bandsaw

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
This is far from being a new idea, but it worked so well for me that I thought I would share it.

The standard approach for cutting small or short material in a 4 x 6 or 7 x 12 bandsaw is to extend the jaws, and install a jackshaft or put an object of equal width at the other end of the vise. That approach requires minor modification to the saw, which has to be reversed in order to cut bevels.

The method I chose for my 7 x 12 Jet saw was to use a drill press vise standing vertically to hold the part. The vise I used requires an 8" length of 4" wide cold roll steel bar about 8" long as shown in the photos. I used 3/4" thick steel, as that was what I had on hand, but anything 1/2" or more thick would work.

The 4" Palmgren vise I used was inexpensive, with a tight movable jaw that stays straight when clamped on only one side of the jaws. I also cut a piece of angle iron with one leg the same width as the body of the vise. The movable jaw can still be adjusted when the little vise is clamped in the saw vise.

These items can be placed on the saw or removed in seconds, and require no modification whatsoever to the saw. See pictures below:

requirements.jpg top view.jpg sample cut.jpg

I use a heavy duty 'L' (actually a slice from a 3.5" x 3.5" angle bar) layed on its side in the same manner.

GsT

I use a drill press vise in a different manner. I will place the vise perpendicular to the blade with the fixed end outboard to the blade. You have to be careful as you near the end of the cut as the work will nio longer be held by the vise and it is wise to place some sacrificial material inder the work so the saw won't cut into the vise but it will get the job done when no other method is available. I have split 1/8" thick material like this.

Back