Cutting stock that is too big for your saw in multiple passes?

Just because I do stoopid stuff, doesn't mean others should.
But there's no fun in that. :grin:

There was still about 1" of material in the middle that flipping didn't reach, so I slide the top blade guide all the way in and tilted the steel to about a 20-30 degree angle.
I kind of stooled your tilting the plate idea!

I picked up a Famco 3-1/2C arbor press from an on-line auction awhile back & it came with a nice big top plate.
Arbor Press Auction Pic.jpgIMG_5804.JPG

I like the idea of having the bigger top plate/work surface, But something like a shaft with a bearing needed to be fed through the original hole in the plate. I wanted to cut out a notch in the plate so that items like a shaft could just be slid into position on the plate, But the plate is roughly 24" X 18" by 1-1/4" thick & it wouldn't fit in my 8" X 16" Kalamazoo bandsaw.

By removing the back vise jaw & putting a hold down clamp in it's place I gained a few more inches of clamping area.
Vise Jaw Removed.jpg
That let me make two cuts partially through the front of the plate.
IMG_6900.JPG
Then by placing some 1,2,3, blocks against the fixed jaw I was able to tilt the plate up enough to cut all the way through to the original opening.
IMG_6902.JPGIMG_6907.JPG
Just before the last cut was all the way through, I placed a couple of clamps & a piece of scrap steel to prevent the (cut-out) piece from dropping & possibly getting wedged in the final cut.
IMG_6908.JPG
Next I repeated the same process and cut off the front sections.
IMG_6911.JPGIMG_6912.JPG
Before & After.
IMG_5892.JPGIMG_6915.JPG

Doug

Last edited:
Back