Cutting tapered keyways with my Rhodes shaper

Technical Ted

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Man I love my little Rhodes shaper! It's a very handy item to have in a shop and the size is perfect for the bulk of the work I do.

I only got one right hand grinding wheel adaptor with my Cincinnati #1 tool and cutter grinder so I decided to make 6 of them; 3 right handed and 3 left. They are different than the ones for my surface grinder... the spindle is a smaller diameter and the taper is different. Also, there is an 1/8" internal keyway in them to match up to the key in the grinder spindle. In addition, these have a snap ring groove cut in them so a 3/8" screw can both hold them on the spindle and because of the snap ring, provide force for removing the adaptor.

I had some 4140 the right diameter on hand and even though prehardened would have been best I'm sure these will work fine for my light use.

The shaper setup took a little while as did making the small bar and grinding the cutter bit on my T&C grinder. But, the actual machining took ~5 minutes each.

Fun little project.

Ted

IMG_0092.jpg
IMG_0091.jpg
IMG_0085.jpg
IMG_0090.jpg

Nice! I love my little Atlas 7b too. And like you it fits my projects and takes up almost no room. Once you get your head around what they can do, they are indispensable. Great tool for the hobby arsenal.

Back