Cutting Titanium

WarrenP

Registered
Registered
I am trying to face some titanium but it seems my HSS bits wear down faster than the titanium. Seems strange because if I use a boring bar I have it cuts it ok but when facing the outside diameter it seems to wear down the bit way to fast. Have tried different speeds and feeds but is still problems. Would it help if I got some M2 HSS bits and ground them to use? (might be stronger) What might be the best way to grind the bits for titanium or should I get a carbide tool for this? It's very frustrating for the bit to wear down trying to cut it. Thank you for your time on this problem, am looking forward to any answers you might have.

We used KC-810 and KC-850 carbide inserts for roughing. Then Borazon inserts for finishing. At the time the KC’s were about $15 each for 3 useable corners. The GE Borazon, (Diamond), were about $350 for 1 useable corner. About 30 years ago.

Time to bust out the carbide. If you have to stick with HSS turn the rpm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down.

We used KC-810 and KC-850 carbide inserts for roughing. Then Borazon inserts for finishing. At the time the KC’s were about $15 each for 3 useable corners. The GE Borazon, (Diamond), were about $350 for 1 useable corner. About 30 years ago.
Borazon is not diamond, it is cubic boron nitride.

CBN is entirely chemically different than diamond; it is not diamond, which allows it's use on carbon based steels, which will degrade diamond tools.

/QUOTE]

Hmmm, Well I definitely cannot afford 350 for one insert to do this. If anyone has other suggestions please let me know. Guess I will be looking at carbide...Thanks

You might try M42 cobalt tools. But general purpose carbide has worked for me. Slow speeds are required.

Back