Cutting tool choice

Irodd

Registered
Registered
Hi,

Could you please help me with proper tool choice for the following task:

I need to cut off (red line shows where to cut) the thin stainless steel cap covering the end of the shaft.
(dimensions in millimeters)
I am beginner, zero previous experience.

2aW9WBX.jpg

What is on the other end of the shaft? Is it just a shaft that could be put into a lathe? What tools do you have available to work with? How accurate does the cut need to be & how consistent does it need to be?

If you can put it in a lathe, you could just use a parting tool and cut the cap off. Easiest & most accurate.

If you don't have a lathe / or can't chuck it up in a lathe (due to geometries of part / lathe) you might try a an abrasive wheel in a die grinder (pneumatic or electric). Least accurate for concentric cut, but could be dressed up with grinder / files.

I am sorry, I was unclear

I have a small table 7x12 lathe
I can put the shaft into the lathe
My question was exactly about proper parting tool for lathe: suggested blade thickness and shape.
I have 2.5mm parting blade and holder.
Do I need grind the blade to some special shape/thickness considering cap thickness 0.25mm?

For something that thin I think I would use a V shaped tool, sharpened razor sharp. with the left cutting edge perpendicular to the work. Plunge with cross slide.

Last edited:
How accurate and clean does the cut need to be? If these are not requirements, I'd seriously consider just using an abrasive cut off wheel.

It means to move the tool along the work while not in contact, make sure the left edge of the tool is where you want it for the cut, lock the carriage so it can't move, and then feed the tool in to the work using the cross feed handle only. As a beginner, you will have to learn make a tool with the proper geometry so it will cut stainless steel freely, not just rubbing and pushing on the metal. If you have a threading or chamfering tool, it will work like it is, just make sure it is sharp and the tip has a sharp point, not rounded.

Edit: The depth of cut is only .25mm (.010") per your drawing...

How accurate and clean does the cut need to be? If these are not requirements, I'd seriously consider just using an abrasive cut off wheel.
There are no strict requirement for the accuracy and cleanness of the cut. There is one important thing - i cannot touch the shaft (it is already polished)
Could you please explain - why do you think abrasive cut off tool is better in this case?

DO YOU HAVE A LATHE?
Yes. Use it.
No. Use an abrasive cut off tool.

Just part it off with your parting tool. A 0.100" thick parting blade is pretty hefty but it will make the cut. Just hone the tool so its sharp, make sure it is at center height and perpendicular to the work piece. Then feed in with the cross slide until the blade contacts the work and feed in the desired amount. It takes longer to type this than to do.

Back