Cutting Tools For a Lathe

sportfan

Registered
Registered
The job I had furnished all the cutting tools, but now I'm on my on and buying them myself. I need to order turning, threading ,facing, and cutoff tools . I don't mind spending more for tooling that justifies it. Like everyone I'd like to keep cost within reason. What brands and suppliers should I look at and what tooling? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info on here from some really knowledgeable people.

Well it all depends on what type of lathe and mill you have. Some can use both carbide and HSS whereas others work best with HSS. HSS works on pretty much any lathe or mill. Most of us grind our own tool bits. Mikey's excellent and very long thread on grinding tool bits is a must read. It is my go to source for info on grinding my tool bits. All of the well known suppliers sell HSS blanks for grinding tool bits. The last stuff that I bought came from Shars.

I need tooling for a PM1130 lathe. I have about everything I need for my mill right now. I know inserts are costly but if I go with brazed tools won't I need coolant and a fine stone grinder to sharpen them?

As for coolant, it really depends upon your feed rate of the tool, and RPMs-vs-diameter (feeds and speeds). I do a lot of cutting with a lubricant (cutting oil) applied to the surface of the spinning part. Some people get great success with "foggers" or "misters" for cooling (with less fluids applied and a smaller net mess than "flooding").

And yes, if you have High Speed Steel (HSS) tools, or cemented Carbide, you will need a grinder and/or Belt Sander (and ideally a stone to hone the edges).
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Precision Matthews sells "sets" of cutting tools which are listed with the PM 1130 lathe. Those listed, are properly sized for that lathe (the are known compatible and work well with the lathe).
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The lathe is heavy enough, and has enough Horsepower (1.5 HP/575 pounds) to work with the Carbide insert tools they list. However, for small parts, you are likely to get superior surface finish with properly hand-ground cutters.

Thanks for your help. I has looking very hard at ordering the PM tool sets.

Not a problem, always willing to help at an Okie.

I won't get into carbide inserts, but for holders I have been very satisfied with all of the tooling I have bought off Aliexpress (and I've bought quite a bit). It has all been well made and properly hardened.

Either of these two sets would get you started for a very reasonable cost.

Last edited:
Learning how to grind HSS tool bits is well worth the effort, and can save money too
-M

Back