D-1-4 spindle mount@#$%^*&*(###:(

knifer-one

Active User
Registered
I know that these D-1 mounts are quirky. I cannot seem to get mine to within 5 thousandths. When I bought the lathe new the original chuck was within 2 thousandths. I changed to the 4 jaw and it was around 3 thous. I did buy a new Atlas chuck and I cant get it to line up. HELP!!before I loose what little patience I have left.

You may have to turn 1 or all 3 holddown bolts by 1/2 turn at a time either in or out to get the chuck to mount up properly.

One way to get close would be to remove the 3 bolts, insert into the spindle and lock them in. Put a scratch mark on the bolts at the mount line and then re install them in the chuck with the scratch mark only just inside the chuck and you should only be 1 turn out at the worst.

I put a strong light on the back side of the chuck and look between the chuck and the spindle from the front, while slowly rotating them by hand. Any tiny little sliver of light showing between the two will tell you if the chuck is seated properly or not. When the light is gone, most likely your run-out will be gone as well. :)

Back