D 1-X spindle mount adapter

Trying to understand the features of the spindle nose set-up.

What is the OD of the flange on the flange nuts (chuck mounting studs).
Will the nuts pass through the large end of the key-hole slots (radial) in the disc (with the knurled OD).

Yes, that's exactly how it works. I originally thought it was some one-off thing but research and measuring confirmed it is actually a standard, just not very common here. The studs slide through the "bayonet ring" with the nuts attached, there is also a "driving lug" that protrudes from the spindle and fits into a corresponding hole in the back of the chuck or backing plate. You then rotate the bayonet ring and tighten the nuts down to secure the chuck against it's taper which I think is the same as a D-1 type. There are also a few small screws that go through the bayonet ring to keep it from rotating even if the nuts are loose.

So, now that I know what the beast is called (DIN 55027) I've ordered some backplates from Toolmex that hopefully will mate up to the spindle and allow me to use plain backed chucks. There's not a lot of info/discussion about this mounting standard but the guys in England who have it seem to like it just fine. Time will tell, but if the backplates I've ordered work I'm good to go with this spindle, no extension needed :grin:

John

All too small, might be able to turn them bigger though.

John

Back