D 1-X spindle mount adapter

Here's the manual if anyone wants to look.

John

I knew you'd posted a picture previously, but I was have difficulty finding it. (operator error, blaming it on the heat.)
Found it -=- Here -=-
Looks so similar to my Taiwan 1440 Birmingham. Do the tags note what year was this one was made in?

I prefer the style of the Power Lever and the way it is 'Doglegged' compared to how the Birmingham is, I may ask you for some detailed pictures in the future.

Do you have a paper or electronic copy of the manual?
It was built in 2012, wish it was Taiwanese but this will have to do for now.

Thank you Dan, for posting a link to Bolton.
I guess this lathe is a equivalent to the 13 x 37 shown on the Bolton site.
I looked at the specs and the Manual, available on-line, and found no mention of the spindle nose configuration. CRAZY!

John,
Have you contacted Bolton about a replacement Gap piece?

Thank you Dan, for posting a link to Bolton.
I guess this lathe is a equivalent to the 13 x 37 shown on the Bolton site.
I looked at the specs and the Manual, available on-line, and found no mention of the spindle nose configuration. CRAZY!

John,
Have you contacted Bolton about a replacement Gap piece?

I have tried to contact them a couple of times with no sucess so far. Word on the street is they really don't support anything.

John

Has a mount I've not seen before.
Will (@darkzero) posted a link to a video of Stefan's, his looks kind of similar.

Cool - it has a 'Bear' of a spindle! :grin:
Decent manual, wish that I had one for the Birmingham like that.

1596208237434.png

Hmmm, 3 inches away with the compound extended, that's a long way. At least you won't crash your compound into the chuck. :) That is going to make parting tough. That chuck adapter idea is starting to sound good. For parting, it may be possible to get by with less accuracy for the gap piece. A lantern toolpost with an angled tool could help as well. I just tried a lantern toolpost with my lathe. It worked quite well within its limitations. It had to be tight, else it would try to turn. It also took a little longer to adjust the height of the tool tip. The setup was very tight, and I couldn't get my tool gauge in there, but the old vertical feeler gauge trick worked.

I had the chance to take the chuck off and see what's going on there, holy thrifty donkey design :eek 2: Have a look and tell me what you think....

DSCN1473.JPG
spindle with taper for retaining the chuck.

DSCN1472.JPG
chuck with standoffs and nuts for locking to spindle

DSCN1479.JPG
spindle detail

DSCN1477.JPG
there's a captured disk behind the spindle which rotates once the standoff nuts get past.

DSCN1481.JPG
Backing plate?

DSCN1480.JPG

Not so much, it's actually part of the chuck....

John

I figure I need to address this pretty early since I only have the one 3 jaw and all Bolton offers is a faceplate for turning between centers.

I'll need at least a 4 jaw, but not being able to quickly change chucks, or source better ones kinda stinks.

I could sacrifice this one to make an adapter but if that doesn't work I'll be left with no chuck at all, hopefully I'll be able to find another one of these chucks or a backing plate that will fit this taper.

John

Taper goes from 3.140 to 3.225 if that rings a bell with anyone.

Back