D1-4 chuck mount on lathe

Beef

Registered
Registered
Hi all.....I recently purchased a Heavy 10 South Bend lathe. I believe it to be a later version because of the D1-4 chuck mount. It has the hand wheel for collets,but none came with it. My question is can the collet adaptor be removed or is it part of the D1-4 chuck mount. It came with a chuck but the chuck does not fit. Here are some pics hopefully some one can help me. Thank YouIMG_0447 (1).jpgIMG_0446.jpgIMG_0449.jpg

Looks like the collet adapter is still in the spindle. Take a rod (aluminum works) and tap it out from the back side of the spindle and catch the adapter as it comes out.

Ah, so they did make D1 spindle protectors. I always wondered what people did to protect the cam lock holes from shmoo using collect closers with D1 spindles. Or I suppose someone just made that protector.

Your collet adapter looks like this. Like Mike said, just knocks right out.

South-Bend-Heavy-10-13-Lathe-D1-4-5C.jpg

Ah, so they did make D1 spindle protectors. I always wondered what people did to protect the cam lock holes from shmoo using collect closers with D1 spindles. Or I suppose someone just made that protector.

That was my thought when I first saw the picture, but I don't see any reference to a D1 spindle protector in the H10 parts listing. There is the regular threaded protector and the L00 protector (or knock-out nuts), but no D1. A previous owner probably did just make his own version. He did a good job, too.

Thanks to all that replied ………. once I knocked out the collet adaptor out …… the chuck fit fine, thanks again

It doesn't look like it is a South Bend collet adapter. Maybe a Logan? Doesn't really matter as long as it fits.

Back