D1-4 Collet Chucks?

Yea, I found out the hard way about the clamping abilities of a 5C collet. But, if I really need to hold something that is odd sized and I need hyper accuracy, I can always spend the time to dial the part in on the PBA. It will hold parts down to 0.120"

A number of people have purchased the 5C collet sets from CDCO, TIR has been good, fit and finish is just OK. I would assume the ones from QMT are just as good. I recommend purchasing a 1/64th increment 5C collet set, as 5C has very limited clamping ability and often stock can be oversized or like holding a threaded part undersized. Going beyond their clamping range and there accuracy significantly is affected. I have a few 5C collets from SHar's and they are also decent. Their R8 collets were less than satisfactory.

I have the metric and inch (1/32) sets from QMT and have no complaints for the price. I’ve been filling in the gaps with 1/64” collets as needed and have a few brass “emergency” collets for odd ball parts.

FYI, the 5C set-tru collet chuck I got from PM is made in Poland at the Bison factory but doesn't have the brand name on it.

Back