D1-4 Spider

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Is anyone interested in making a D1-4 spider for a fee?

Material, any steel

Dimensions:
Diameter - 8 inches
Thickness - 3 inches
Spider bore - 2.5 inches
Spider screws holes - 3/8 x 24

I stated 8 inch diameter just for convenience, more room tp grab it and turn when dialing a barrel.

Last edited:
Another option would be to just turn a round spider and mount it in a 3 or four jaw chuck.

Bambam,

I have a piece of ductile iron here I roughed out for a project that never happen. The piece is about 8" OD x 2-1/2" ID x around 3-3-1/2" lg. If interested in the material PM me.

Ken

Another option would be to just turn a round spider and mount it in a 3 or four jaw chuck.

Magu,

Thank you.

Never thought about mounting a spider in a 4J, however I am trying to minimize the spindle overall length.

Last edited:
Bambam,

I have a piece of ductile iron here I roughed out for a project that never happen. The piece is about 8" OD x 2-1/2" ID x around 3-3-1/2" lg. If interested in the material PM me.

Ken

Ken,

Thank you for the offer. PM on the way.

Nez

I made this one last week using a D1-4 backing plate;

1514256964784.png

1514257002495.png

Setscrews are 1/2"-20. The short ones are for locking down the longer ones after the barrel is dialed in. The rectangular pads swivel on the tips of the longer setscrews. I wrap a 1/16" thick copper strip around the barrel to prevent marring.

Takes up far less room than the 4 jaw chuck.

That is really cool. Was the backstop lock down set screw idea an extra precaution or it actually happens that they can loosen?
I guess a typical chuck screw/jaw thread must be a different kind thread engagement principle to axial screws like this application because we don't usually consider loosening much?

Was the plate cast iron or a machineable steel?

Extra Precaution.

The back plate is from Grizzly. Saves a lot of machining time, plus it came with the cam lock pins. Cam lock pins are just about impossible to source, if you find them they are expensive. All I had to do was set it up in the dividing head and drill&tap the 4 holes. And it is large enough to obtain a good hand grip when dialing in. Material is high grade cast iron.

The long setscrews with the swivels were salvaged from a 220 volt service panel, they were in the clamps that the big entrance wire is held.

1514304123762.png

1514304172303.png

BBB,

How far off the edge are the spider screws? How close did you get to the cam lock stud screw holes when you drilled the spider screws? Seems a challenge to drill/tap holes that are 90 degrees apart right next to tapped holes that are 120 degrees apart.

Back