MON Dads Monarch 10EE - what should I do?

dadsmachines2018

Registered
Registered
My wonderful Electrical Engineer dad is now in that big workshop in the sky and I am trying to decide what to do with his Monarch 10EE. It is not frozen. Colletts are there. Needs belts and electrical work. Is there anyone in the Allentown area of PA that could have a look? I don't know if I should just gift it to someone or if it has enough value that I should be selling it. The guy buying my parents house says I can leave it. Anyone have any idea what a machine in this condition is worth? I want to do what would make my dad happy. He loved his machines and I know it would make him super happy to have it restored and used. He would also be really ticked if I gave it away for nothing when I should be selling. My husband can't help me on this one. He knows all about vintage music gear but nothing about machines. I have been reading up and it sounds like the Monarch 10EE is revered by many. Any advice would be helpful!

IMG_5939.JPG

IMG_6305.JPG

IMG_6296.JPG

IMG_6308.JPG

Iam to far away to help, unfortunately. However there is at least one live steam, miniature railroad club near Allentown, that will have a large number of members who are hobby machinists, and make steam engines with lathes. Iam pretty sure you could contact the local club and ask for assistance in assessing the machine.

monarchs are indeed prized in the machinist world. Particularity if they are not worn out and well cared for.

Regards,
Glenn

First, I am sorry for your loss.

Many people consider Monarch one of the true great quality lathes.

Of course, condition and attachments are important too. The collet draw tube on yours (with the hand-wheel on the floor off the left end) certainly has some surface rust. What shape are the ways in? The fact that the gears look complete and you have so many collets certainly raises the price.

The guy buying my parents house says I can leave it.

He may see the value in it and is hoping to get it free/cheap.
Of course, having to remove it from the basement is a job too.

I would recommend get a price range from here, then advertise it locally for a couple hundred less with the understanding that the buyer must remove it. I bet you'd come away making money on that deal.

-brino

First, I am sorry for your loss.

Many people consider Monarch one of the true great quality lathes.

Of course, condition and attachments are important too. The collet draw tube on yours (with the hand-wheel on the floor off the left end) certainly has some surface rust. What shape are the ways in? The fact that the gears look complete and you have so many collets certainly raises the price.

He may see the value in it and is hoping to get it free/cheap.
Of course, having to remove it from the basement is a job too.

I would recommend get a price range from here, then advertise it locally for a couple hundred less with the understanding that the buyer must remove it. I bet you'd come away making money on that deal.

-brino
Thanks for taking time to look at photos. The lathe
definitely needs TLC. Its in the garage so that makes getting it out easier. I was thinking it was probably worth around $1500 and was ok with it staying with the house but then started researching and the prices on these are all over the place so I was hoping to find someone who could help me understand it's value better.

Round dial machine that is a project I would take the $1500 and be done with it. Might be a good deal for someone but it looks like a project. That said the collet nose piece is worth bucks as are the collets if they are USA made, so no sense in going much lower than that unless you need it out there real quick.

I agree, $1500 should move it quickly. And it would be fair to tell the buyer he is responsible for loading. Put it up here and on craigs list. if that don't go, put it on ebay. might also join and list it on practical machinist web site/ LOTS of 10EE nuts there.

I agree, $1500 should move it quickly. And it would be fair to tell the buyer he is responsible for loading. Put it up here and on craigs list. if that don't go, put it on ebay. might also join and list it on practical machinist web site/ LOTS of 10EE nuts there.

I only just saw this thread. I am about 30 mins from Allentown. I can take a look if you still need someone to visit. FYI, I have no experience in Monarch lathes. I can take more pictures and perhaps operate the lathe, but I have no idea on the value.

Back