Dad's Smithy

Oville

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello all!

New member, just signed up.

My dad passed away recently, and I inherited his Smithy CB 122o XL and a small Craftsman lathe. He was a physicist, and 30+ years ago we used to make engine balancers and test equipment in his machine shop. He taught me how to use a lathe, a vertical mill, and to weld. It was a blast! Then I had to go to college and get into computers....

Now I've ended up with his Smithy and the little Craftsman lathe I learned on (and a lot of aluminum and steel stock). I want to get back into it, start building stuff. I'd like to make clocks one day.

Just wanted to say hey, and thank you all for your time and your postings here. I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of dumb questions. Looking forward to getting back into machining.

Steve

Welcome the site and good luck, how big is the craftsman. This place will give you lots of project and advice on stuff if you ask, They also can point out videos etc that will help out.
again welcome.

Welcome Steve,The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Rick

Thanks Rick! Appreciate the encouragement.

Ken - it's a 6" Craftsman lathe. He got it back in the 60s - it's the lathe I learned on.

welcome to the forum, there are plenty of folks that will be happy to help out

That is not a bad size. LIke I said there are many projects on this site that would work real nice on your late. One of the first things if you are like me, is getting back into it. and getting things to work again. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about your dad passing, sounds like a heck of a dad to teach you some practical skills like that - I think more of that is needed these days!

about making clocks - I found a site the other day - Clickspring and he's making a clock I think - http://www.clickspringprojects.com/

Thanks Backyard. He *was* a heck of a dad. Worked on the Manhattan Project, a pioneer in the field of vibration analysis, and pastor of our church for 50 years. I learned so much from him.

And thanks for the Clickspring link! Very cool. I really appreciate it.

I've managed to get everything moved from his house and (more or less) organized. I turned some round aluminum stock last night, first time in 30 years. Forgot how much fun that is! I had to contact Smithy because my dad's machine differs slightly from the manual - there's no Powerfeed engagement lever. Smithy says I need to move the B gear over till it engages.

Back