Dale Detrich "Brass T" Engine

B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
I have to get the Mill in before I can continue with the P&W so I thought it was a good time to get this engine done.

Brass plumbing parts are now mostly imported from China. This leaves a lot to be desired. It is extremely difficult to get them into the 4 jaw correctly. We need to center it with the internal threads as they will be bored out. That white piece in the first photo is the alignment arbor. It is made from Nylon. It give under pressure. As you hand turn the chuck you are aligning the Nylon arbor to "0". When it is zeroed the threads are spot on.

Photo #2 shows the results. The same arbor will be used to align the "T" for horozontal boring.

We are oficially under way.

"Billy G" :shush:

aac 001 (700 x 525).jpg aac 002 (700 x 525).jpg

I mite have to build one of these so I'll be watching you as you proceed with it.

Paul

Horizontal boring is a little harder. The alignment has to be darn close. The Nylon Arbor was used again. 2nd photo is self explanatory.

"Billy G" :))

aah 001 (700 x 525).jpg aah 002 (700 x 525).jpg

You got my attention, Bill. My new 'must watch' thread.

Back to this one tomorrow. Had a big job for Mama.

lly G"

I'm watching a looking forward to seeing how things go. Maybe I can make one on my little EMCO 5? Been a long time since I have turned some chips. Like steam/air engines.
Jerry

Back