Dalton lathe

L

Lordbeezer

Forum Guest
Register Today
picked up a Dalton lathe yesterday .says type B on gear cover tag.serial number lot 4. 228..been sitting in barn 15-20 years.has surface rust.face plate with a 3 jaw chuck.few change gears.guy wanted too much for legs but we're working out a deal.will post pictures after unloading.thanks Phil

Hey, another member for the Dalton Gang! Yes, post pictures!

You might wish to check out the Dalton Lathe archives of the "Dalton Gang" on Yahoo groups, moderated by Dennis Turk. Or check in and say hello. Dennis is maybe the worlds foremost authority on Dalton lathes. He has restored and owns around a dozen or so machines. Also has done extensive research on all the iterations of the lathe.

Search for 'Lot 4' to see past info about this model lathe. Dennis may be able to tell you it's early history, based on the lot # and serial number - at least date manufacture, if not who and where shipped when new.

He also often has a lead on parts and is very responsive to questions regarding restoration and repair.

Daltons are fine old machines. Surprising stiff and still making a lot of chips. I use mine on a regular basis to make stuff. Love it.

Glenn

Thanks for info Glenn.Will post pictures soon.gonna use a 9" south bend counter shaft Assy .thanks Phil

Ain't that the truth.he was going to sell them to someone to make a table with..hopefully I've talked him out of that..unloaded lathe today..heavy little bugger.

Thanks for info Glenn.Will post pictures soon.gonna use a 9" south bend counter shaft Assy .thanks Phil

Phil, that's what I did with my Dalton. Had to make an anchor post to secure the lathe end of the tensioning lever. SB drilled and tapped a hole on the backside of their lathes, to anchor the tensioning arm. DAltons have no such attachment point on the backside of the bed. So I just welded up a vertical post to a piece of flat bar - slotted and drilled the top of the post to pin the lever, then bolted the flat base to my table, right behind the headstock. Works great. I think I posted a photo on my rebuild thread.

They are heavy - stout and rigid!

Glenn

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Took couple pictures of the lathe today.has gray and black paint.don't know which is factory.one foot is broke but I have the pieces.the apron has been repaired at some point.looks like a good job.what is the machined area on back of bed used for.not seen that before.the forward-reverse lever has anot so good repair.over all it has good bones(to me)..

Historic find I think , those pics. are interesting (the stuff in the back ground ) . Lordbeezer man I hope you got the legs ! Many beers ago I repaired some cast iron on a old turret lathe , I didn't really know what I was doing , but a old timer told me how to do it so I guess I did haha . Just pre heat and arc weld with iron rod , easypeasy . Check out this awesome resto , I'm stoked .
http://www.lathes.co.uk/dalton/page3.html

Yes sir..that lathe is some kinda pretty..gonna get the legs after I convince the po that they should stay with lathe instead of a kitchen table..and he comes down on price..Thanks

Back