Dalton lathe

I had to get close to take pictures to keep all my crap,I mean used parts outta pictures

Wow, great barn find. Looks like it will clean up real well.

An old timer at Smokey Point, Washington does cast iron repair for a living. His company name is "Cast Iron Repair". People send him broken cast iron parts to repair from all over the US. He could fix your broken foot. You won't be able to tell it was ever broken afterwards. Cast iron isn't trivial to work with. He and his boy are the last guys west of the Mississippi who do this kind of work full time now.

Glenn

Any idea what machined slot is for on back side of bed..I've been doing my cast iron repairs for several (many) years now..sometimes stick.sometimes brazing.I'm sure your guys are much better but I get by. Thanks Phil

Glenn..was looking at pictures of your Dalton..your gear cover bracket bolts into the slot on back of lathe..is slot full length of bed..seems like a lot of machining to just use couple of inches..thanks

Phil, good question. I don't remember! Actually tonight I pulled the bracket off and removed the gear cover to re adjust the leadscrew - which had come loose and moved a bit. Only looked at the end of the slot, under the headstock. Never paid any attention to the rest of the ways. I'll look along the back of the ways tomorrow to be sure, but I vaguely remember the slot only going part way. A full length slot would be ideal for adding other attachments. Anchor point for one end of a tensioning bar for the countershaft for one. I'll check my lathe in the morning and update this post.

Glenn

Phil, my lathe has the slot in the casting the full length of the bed. Must be to secure other attachments, fixtures, etc.

Also I bet any tensioning arm could bolt into the slot with some sort of slide and arm arrangement.

Glenn

Kool..thanks for info.I'm sure I'll stick something back there.just because I can..haha..thanks for your time

Very nice Phil! Is that a serpentine belt or a leather one ? mark

Serpentine.cut.drilled.sewn with heavy thread..have same on my 11" Sheldon 5-6 years now.quite.transfers power real good.

Back