Dam4 The Torpedos

A hot blue chip lands in your ear and tool bit is close to the chuck. What do you do?

• Listen as it sizzles in your ear and suck it up to save the piece?

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Pop the carriage lever immediately, ruin the finish then deal with your ear?

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Just run away, let the lathe crash and swear-off machining forever?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blink a lot so you can still see well enough to save the part?

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Back-out the slide, stop the machine and try to save the piece later?

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Swear a lot as you listen to it sizzle but save the piece?

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Swear a lot and crash the lathe?

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Try to reach your right hear with your left hand (keeping right hand on lever) to flick off chip?

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Stop what you're doing, stick finger in ear and burn the fingertip too?

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

Ray C

Registered
Registered
We've all been there... Happened to me again yesterday.

It was a light lathe cut; light enough not to engage the chip breaker. It was a finish pass and the cut was close to the jaws ...had to pay attention to the carriage release. The chips were coming off in 1/2" long spring curls and turning blue as they few off the insert. At the last moment, a hot chip landed in the little pocket area of my ear. This is a dilemma we all face at one time or another.

Man or mouse. Take the poll...

Let's hear what you should do when this happens.

Happy Upcoming New Year!

Ray C.

You get this with welding too! Shall I finish the bead, or investigate that ball of molten plasma that has just gone down the top of my boot!! ooooooooWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

I got a bad burn recently on my foot because I thought the slag would eventually stop burning. I should have stopped and removed my shoe.

I regretted the poor decision to carry on because I was reminded of it daily for the 6 weeks it took for that wound to get well! So once again, I learned that my health and safety is way more important than a piece of metal I am working.

It's simple: you only have two ears, having both comes in pretty handy at times. Risking a burn and an infection isn't worth a part that can either be saved or remade from scratch if necessary.

What's worse than a chip in the ear is that one that falls down between your eye glasses and your eyebrows and eyelid! Never thought you could dance that fast!

Don't think I've ever had a chip in the ear. In the hair, lots of times.

This is such a common welding issue!. I use the 2 second rule. If its still burning after that I drop the torch!
Terry- Burns will heal, but a work piece will not re-make it self! ;)
R

I must be differently-able, I've never had a chip in or on my ear. ;-)
I've had chips in my beard and on my lip, but only when I've forgotten to erect the chip screen for a chip-throwing job :D

At least with welding dingleberries, a rapid shaking and tilt of your head will usually dislodge the ball of molten steel. Done quickly, you won't lose your focus on the weld bead and work goes on. Cutting steel with a torch is where I started wearing my Levi's over my boot tops. I still have a scar to remind me of the folly of not doing so.

With the colorful blue chips flying off the lathe, the sharp edges can dig in, making then more difficult to dislodge. Depending on the size, I might bite the bullet and continue on but with a serious chip, I would stop.

I don't have much of a problem with chips in the ears and I wear glasses which prevent at least direct impacts with my eyes. The ones the get me though, are the ones hitting my left hand as I manually feed the tool. My lathes have a lighted magnifier which I will place in a strategic position to stop most of the those annoying little buggers.

Back