Dam4 The Torpedos

A hot blue chip lands in your ear and tool bit is close to the chuck. What do you do?

• Listen as it sizzles in your ear and suck it up to save the piece?

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Pop the carriage lever immediately, ruin the finish then deal with your ear?

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Just run away, let the lathe crash and swear-off machining forever?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blink a lot so you can still see well enough to save the part?

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Back-out the slide, stop the machine and try to save the piece later?

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Swear a lot as you listen to it sizzle but save the piece?

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Swear a lot and crash the lathe?

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Try to reach your right hear with your left hand (keeping right hand on lever) to flick off chip?

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Stop what you're doing, stick finger in ear and burn the fingertip too?

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
I once had a blue chip go up my nose... and my finger wasn't long enough to reach it...

I'm sure I looked like a fool dancing a jig in the shop with my finger 2 knuckles deep in my nose...

-Bear

The ice cold water from the shop water fountain help sooth the wounds of hot blue meat hook shaving burns on a 100 degree day. My early learning experiences of yesteryear.

my brother got his gold welding ring between the + of a 12 volt battery and the ground of a car, the ring practically vaporized and he nearly lost the finger, took nearly 2 months to heal up.

my brother got his gold welding ring between the + of a 12 volt battery and the ground of a car, the ring practically vaporized and he nearly lost the finger, took nearly 2 months to heal up.

Ouch! That's painful just to think about.

Was welding on a car while stationed in England, (young and dumb) hand on no gloves, and some how my wedding ring got welded to the rocker panel of the car Wife will not let me do things with a band on, says she would rather i have all my fingers, I agree that was not pleasant. and it takes a long time to get over it.

Back