Darn shame

Cad, every big co dose that at our expense
I’m going to look again , I’ll pull the table and look, spin the spindle
Kant let it go to make disposable Chinese razors, I’ll park it on top of other projects.
If cheep enough, she likes me :big grin:

Last edited:
I found boxes of new tooling, drills, taps, end mills tool holders and inserts in a building bought by a company. The stuff was left by the previous owner and became theirs upon purchase. After my offer to purchase they came back and said no because they had "no line item in their accounting system to sell something they did not produce and had no cost for. They demolished the building to build a new one and Im sure the guy who took the building down made some serious cash off the sales of all that new boxed tooling. Crazy rules for stuff; Im sure there are tax rules for things that effect these decisions but you would think they would have taken my cash offer.

Same thing one day at a place I worked, they re-modeled an area and took down a bunch of cubicle type dividers with desks, shelving units and files. I had a friend with a start up business that really could have used it. They said it had to be thrown away and could not even be taken from the dumpster for "liability reasons". Stupid, when a guy who lost his job and some former co workers were trying to get back to work on their own.

If the castings arent cracked it's probably all able to be salvaged. Might be worth someone's time for a startup on a budget. I hate to see folks ruin equipment just because they don't know, or don't care, what it is. Happens with a lot of "estate" situations.

I have to share this story on surplus equipment:
I have a relative that works for a large government contractor. They used to auction off all the surplus tools and materials periodically. Win-win right?
It seems that someone got the idea that if they ordered a little more they'd build a surplus of unused (premium) goods. Then, take a kickback from a willing bidder for info on the high bid and on what pallet was buried the primo goods. Higher ups figured this out. Long story short... everything leftover now gets cut-up, crushed and is under guard until the dumpster gets hauled away. Shameful waste.

I have a relative that works for a large government contractor. They used to auction off all the surplus tools and materials periodically. Win-win right?
It seems that someone got the idea that if they ordered a little more they'd build a surplus of unused (premium) goods. Then, take a kickback from a willing bidder for info on the high bid and on what pallet was buried the primo goods. Higher ups figured this out. Long story short... everything leftover now gets cut-up, crushed and is under guard until the dumpster gets hauled away. Shameful waste.

This happens all to often in many organizations. Change the system to prevent fraud, but make the system worse for everyone who has to use it. The proper response is to make an example of the perpertrators through firing and prosecution and ensure everyone in the organization knows it happened.

This happens all to often in many organizations. Change the system to prevent fraud, but make the system worse for everyone who has to use it. The proper response is to make an example of the perpertrators through firing and prosecution and ensure everyone in the organization knows it happened.

Yes we used to get passes to take out scrap or unwanted material. They cut that out but now we could bid on items. I bid and got these fixtures from Eaton I’m fact I bid on them before I retired but had to pick them up after I retired. The material is mid way through this video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was fortunate enough to have lived in a time when state surplus depots and several local manufacturers bone yards were free to roam and pickup just about anything that I wanted for a price that was basically a handling fee. From a 5ton knuckle boom truck to microscopes and vacuum pumps to just about any shape or size pieces of stainless steel, aluminum, brass etc. that I needed for projects, saving the university tons of bucks. The way things are run today is a disgrace for our nation. Just because of the jerks that try to play the system.

Back