Darn shame

dlane

Active User
Registered
Went to a local CL add for Machinist’s tools and found these out back , the BP sunk in the mud and fell over.
There was a girl there clearing out her dads estate , didn’t find any other machinist tools but she gave me a good looking toro lawn mower and a antique 3hp boat motor.
3266A5D5-7864-4FD4-9C26-192F9F4EBDF1.jpeg
Don’t believe the grinder is repairable, the BP ether.

There is a tear running down my cheek
Breaks my heart

Looks like they have been out there quite a while- I'm guessing the father was ill for some time and then passed away

Pure waste , how dumb can people be. But big companies do the same thing .

Pure waste , how dumb can people be. But big companies do the same thing .
I remember when the High Schools decided the South Bend Lathes and the Bridgeport Mills, wood shop equip etc. was all obsolete scrap and in the way.
Yeah, stupid is as stupid does.

I think the saying is 'one person's treasure is another person's junk'. Or something like that.

The company I worked for use to do the same thing. They had an area out in the back of the plant they would store old/unused machinery and equipment. I was scrounging around out there one evening and found a brand new still in the crate pump that was bought for another area of the plant that was never used (worth at least $10,000) I knew it was very similar to some of the pumps we used in our department and was good for at least some parts so I grabbed it with a forklift and hid it away in a back corner just in case. Sure enough about 2 months later one of our pumps went down and the boss was crying about how it was going to wreck our maintenance budget. I asked him what it would be worth to him if I happened to find one we could use and no I wasn't stealing it from another department. I had it sitting on the shop floor the next morning and they used the parts out of it to repair ours. I explained to the boss where I found it and how I had stashed it just for an occasion like this. He was so happy he bought steak dinners for the whole department (12 guys).

The company I worked for use to do the same thing. They had an area out in the back of the plant they would store old/unused machinery and equipment. I was scrounging around out there one evening and found a brand new still in the crate pump that was bought for another area of the plant that was never used (worth at least $10,000) I knew it was very similar to some of the pumps we used in our department and was good for at least some parts so I grabbed it with a forklift and hid it away in a back corner just in case. Sure enough about 2 months later one of our pumps went down and the boss was crying about how it was going to wreck our maintenance budget. I asked him what it would be worth to him if I happened to find one we could use and no I wasn't stealing it from another department. I had it sitting on the shop floor the next morning and they used the parts out of it to repair ours. I explained to the boss where I found it and how I had stashed it just for an occasion like this. He was so happy he bought steak dinners for the whole department (12 guys).
Perfect reason our country is in trouble , we waste to much . If things taken out of service can be used why not take offers and sell . Like your company if they kept track they wouldn't have been in trouble till you saved them.

Back