Darsin DSL-1340GH request

KWGeorge

Registered
Registered
Hello this is my first post to this forum and of course I am looking for help ;-)

Several months back I acquired a Taiwanese made lathe manufactured in 1990. Since then I have been rebuilding/repairing it to the point it is now fully functional. It was quite the task as the man who had bought it at an auction moved it shall we say poorly and it fell over on its front. I don’t think I would ever take one on like this again as the damage was much greater than I thought when I acquired it. However, all that’s been fixed now and the lathe is running fine.

The lathe was manufactured by a company called Darsin (The tag reads, DS Darsin, Dar Sin Machinery Works) and was sold under various names such as Darsin, Hipomack, Edison, etc. The model of this lathe is DSL-1340GH.

I am looking for a picture of the Metric Treading chart as mine is destroyed and I would like to engrave a new one. I have noticed that this lathe has some variation depending on the year it was made. Mine had the 127 tooth large center gear. I am also on the hunt for a copy of the manual but that is not a necessity.

I am going to attach a picture as it was when I picked it up.

Thanks to anyone that can help!

IMG_4176.jpg

First, Welcome to the Hobby-Machinist!
You have just joined a great group of people of all interests and experience levels united in two things; learning more and helping others!

It sounds like you took on a bigger project than expected, but you came thru great.
I bet you learned a lot along the journey.

Sorry I do NOT have direct experience with that lathe, but I bet someone here does.
It was likely sold under many more different names....someone will recognize it as the same as theirs.
Stay tuned.

But if not.......
Years ago I went thru the effort of developing a threading table from "first principles" as they say.
That first lathe (a tiny Atlas/Crafstman) had a chart, but it was missing any info on a number of gear combinations.
I wanted to both fill in the missing info, and understand it all.

Since then, I have done the same exercise for my second lathe; a 1947 SouthBend 9 inch.
(counted the teeth on all gears in the quick-change gear box)

I have been meaning to put together a thread or document of some kind about how I did it.
It is not rocket science (really just mulipying a string of fraction) but can be a little tedious.
The benefit is being able to know the full range of feeds and threading available.
Also, it opens the door to what gear changes are required to produce a particular odd-ball thread you may need.

If you do NOT get the help you need, let me know (private message or "PM" so I get alerted).
This could be the "kick in the pants" I need to finally write it up.

-brino

I'm 90% sure it is the upgrade to my lathe. It is a lot of work but you can calculate your actual metric threading. Since mine isn't exact, there is no way to know if your change gears are the same as mine. If in the remote circumstance we can't find a manual for you, I can help you to derive the complete threading chart. It involves counting the teeth on all gears in the gear train, and building a spreadsheet.

I thought it sounded more like a Star Wars villan.

Dar Sin, and you shall be punished for your sin. Or not. :congratulate:

Yeah well with all that I have had to do on this lathe I am pretty sure I am being punished for something! :) It has been a challenge for sure but I am now able to use it as of tonight. I was able to realign the head with a test bar and it is cutting pretty dang true now.

Thanks, everyone who responded I really appreciate it. Here is a picture of what is left of the chart. It shows the different gears and the tooth count. Unfortunately, I don’t know the math to calculate the missing values.

IMG_4388.jpg

Hello this is my first post to this forum and of course I am looking for help ;-)

Several months back I acquired a Taiwanese made lathe manufactured in 1990. Since then I have been rebuilding/repairing it to the point it is now fully functional. It was quite the task as the man who had bought it at an auction moved it shall we say poorly and it fell over on its front. I don’t think I would ever take one on like this again as the damage was much greater than I thought when I acquired it. However, all that’s been fixed now and the lathe is running fine.

The lathe was manufactured by a company called Darsin (The tag reads, DS Darsin, Dar Sin Machinery Works) and was sold under various names such as Darsin, Hipomack, Edison, etc. The model of this lathe is DSL-1340GH.

I am looking for a picture of the Metric Treading chart as mine is destroyed and I would like to engrave a new one. I have noticed that this lathe has some variation depending on the year it was made. Mine had the 127 tooth large center gear. I am also on the hunt for a copy of the manual but that is not a necessity.

I am going to attach a picture as it was when I picked it up.

Thanks to anyone that can help!

View attachment 266776

Back