Daruma electric bench drill model no. 100

DewHead

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

First post on the forum!
We're talking about an old Daruma drill press. The model mentioned in the title.
I can't find any information about it, probably because it's from the pre-internet knowledge sharing times.
The only place I see this drill press on the web is on graysonline auctions, so I assumed that this DP was/is sold mostly in Australia.

This is a DP that I'm restoring or refreshing or what have you.
My question is if anyone here knows of a store/website that sells spare parts for this DP.
While trying to get the bearings off the spindle, I wacked it too hard and bent it a bit. I'm afraid to even check the runout. I'm hoping to be able to find a new or used spindle.
Other than that, I also can't figure out what the taper is on the spindle (see attached photo). It needs a new Chuck.

Thank you in advance guys/gals!

IMG_20190203_233320.jpg

IMG_20190203_233203.jpg

IMG_20190203_233147.jpg

There is a high probability that you will not be able to find new spare parts for that drill press. Even used parts may be difficult to find. A spindle can be straightened using a press and two movable supports that can fit under the spindle at all locations along the spindle length. You must go very slowly, and try to never overshoot. Using a dial indicator so you can see when you are gaining and also how much additional spring is necessary to sneak up on straight after removing the pressure. Inspect carefully after each push so you always have a current map of what exists. Gradually move the portions that are out of parallel with the original spindle center line to where they need to be. It is quite possible to make it very close to the original straightness it had from the factory, where they would have used the same techniques on the original new parts.

Thank you Bob. That's definitely worth the try.
So if I'm keeping the spindle, do you have any idea what taper is on there?
From my investigation so far, it seems that the Jacobs taper #3 (JT3) is closest.
The JT3 dimentions are (mm):
D = 20.559
d = 18.951
I¹ = 30.956

What I have is as follows:
D = 21
d = 19.5
I¹ = same as JT3

If I get a JT3 chuck, is it possible that it will seat correctly on this taper?
I've also came across B22 taper but it's too long, 40.5mm

Thank you!

Thank you Bob. That's definitely worth the try.
So if I'm keeping the spindle, do you have any idea what taper is on there?
From my investigation so far, it seems that the Jacobs taper #3 (JT3) is closest.
The JT3 dimentions are (mm):
D = 20.559
d = 18.951
I¹ = 30.956

What I have is as follows:
D = 21
d = 19.5
I¹ = same as JT3

If I get a JT3 chuck, is it possible that it will seat correctly on this taper?
I've also came across B22 taper but it's too long, 40.5mm

Thank you!
It is often difficult to tell what you have on a really old machine. Beg, borrow, or buy a JT3 tool with an undamaged taper from someone and see how close it fits. If it is good, great! If less than good but very close, use blueing dye like Dykem or similar to find the high and low spots with trial fits, and then gradually make it fit. Only remove metal on the spindle taper, not from the female taper, go slowly, and correct any runout at the same time. If JT3 does not appear to be the correct taper after a trial fit, you will have to make something else work for you.

Thank you Bob,
On to finding someone with a lathe. This seems to be my last hope.
Thank you again Bob!

Hey, i got the same drill press, and just like you, i too live in Israel.
Any chance i could pick your brains a bit about the spindle disassembly?

Udi.

Back