Dating vintage Starrett tools

I am in the same boat, Tom - in addition to running twelve web sites (109 pages) and two message Boards, I am a Calligrapher producing daily commissions, occasional bookbinding and ongoing historical writing. Isn't retirement great? By the time I am ninety I will be pretty much fully occupied!:))

James

See? Now that's the problem, I still have to work for a living. Maybe after I shake this pesky job, I'll have more time for the important stuff. :thumbsup:

Tom

See? Now that's the problem, I still have to work for a living. Maybe after I shake this pesky job, I'll have more time for the important stuff. :thumbsup:

Tom
Ah yes, Tom, that is indeed an unfortunate problem - I will try to put together a Lufkin page - with your help (just a little) and guidance.

James

Ah yes, Tom, that is indeed an unfortunate problem - I will try to put together a Lufkin page - with your help (just a little) and guidance.

James

James,

I have a fair amount of Lufkin literature and a lot of NOS Lufkin tools that I've been meaning to photograph...

Tom

Good morning, James and all --

Here are a couple of pictures of a Starrett double protractor (see page 41 in the catalog link posted earlier). It was in the same box as the level and has a patent date of Dec. 27, 1904. The id stamp is just L.S.S. Co. and is one I didn't see on your site, James.

This is all good fun and thanks again for all the work you've put in on it.

Keith W

Double-Prodractor.jpg Protractor2.jpg

Good morning, James and all --

Here are a couple of pictures of a Starrett double protractor (see page 41 in the catalog link posted earlier). It was in the same box as the level and has a patent date of Dec. 27, 1904. The id stamp is just L.S.S. Co. and is one I didn't see on your site, James.

This is all good fun and thanks again for all the work you've put in on it.

Hi Keith. That stamping is depicted on my web site (sometimes with or without U.S.A):

0astarrett15.jpg

I have not been able to determine when that stamping was introduced - obviously after circa. 1900. It seems to have been employed thereafter whenever there was a space restriction on the tool that would inhibit the full name stamping. In general, it appears that patent dates were used on early tool production. Of course, patent dates are not of great use in dating tools - Patents were only good for four years from date of issuance and were often obtained some time after the tool had been in production - patent dates were sometimes used long after the patent had expired.

James

James,

I have a fair amount of Lufkin literature and a lot of NOS Lufkin tools that I've been meaning to photograph...

Tom

Wow! I'd love to see some Lufkin literature!
I love Starrett tools, but I also love the Lufkin ones I have been able to find.

Bernie

So it looks like I'm not the only one infatuated with Lufkin tools. I'm also building a website and was considering adding a reference page. The Lufkin information might be a good addition there since James probably doesn't want to "pollute" his with non Starrett stuff. ;)

The website is coming along well James. Are you planning on digitizing any of the catalogs, or are there copyright issues since the company is still in business?

Tom

So it looks like I'm not the only one infatuated with Lufkin tools. I'm also building a website and was considering adding a reference page. The Lufkin information might be a good addition there since James probably doesn't want to "pollute" his with non Starrett stuff ..........
Hi Tom,

I am pleased to hear you are doing that. I love Lufkin tools too - but I won't be including any on my Starrett research web page.

.......... The website is coming along well James. Are you planning on digitizing any of the catalogs, or are there copyright issues since the company is still in business?

Tom
I have neither the time or energy to do that, Tom. Copyright is always a thorny issue beyond fair use extracts. I believe copyright ownership expires on anything older than 85 years and it is consigned to the public domain - some material copyright only extends to the 1970s. However, it is always best to check usage out with the copyright owner. I note that Rose Antique Tools (and others) have digitalized numerous manufacturer's entire catalogs - including Lufkin: http://www.roseantiquetools.com/id92.html (which includes a Lufkin milestones compilation) - and offer them as free PDF downloads - and in some cases offer printed copies for sale.

Added: 1895, 1938 and 1948 Starrett catalog PDF downloads are available at: http://www.roseantiquetools.com/id97.html (Rose Antique Tools - includes a concise Starrett company history)

Last edited:
Back