David Kerzel hit miss engine (sort of)

So are the weights as they move outwards, moving a spool on the shaft behind the flywheel and there will be a lever that is acted upon to reduce fuel supply?
Sorry may not be describing what I am thinking well enough.

You were right except the lever will latch onto the exhaust valve and hold it open until rpm slows down. At this point, the exhaust valve closes, allows compression and engine fires. On full scale engines, the engine will coast for several seconds before the exhaust closes and the engine fires again. On the model engines I have seen run, everything happens much faster.

Finished the governor. It isn't like the original plans but it should work. In the end, it just needs to block the exhaust valve from closing when the weights expand. 20201121_095832.jpg

Had to make the carburetor twice. The first had some major problems. This is bound to happen when you throw a piece of metal in the lathe and start maching something without thinking it through or drawing it out. Anyway the second carburetor works great. The connecting rod had gotten really loose on the crank, so I ended up drilling it out and making a brass bushing. Virtually no play now. Finally got it running well enough that I was able to make a video. It doesn't "rev up" as much as I would like (barely enough for the governor to cut in) but it does keep running. I am going to build a nice stand to mount it on. I'll post a video as soon as I get it in the right format

Tried to upload video. everything seems to work fine, but when I click on the file all I get is audio.

Last edited:
20201130_131111.jpg
Here is a picture of my hit-miss finished and mounted on on a stand. Had it running for over 5 minutes before I shut off the ignition. I was able to restart it fairly easily.

Great job and what a feeling.

Ray

Chris:
Do you have a photo or drawings for the carburetor you built?

Thanks
Roger L

Back