Davis & Wells 14" bandsaw

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I've been watching for a 14" Delta bandsaw to either convert to a wood / metal or possibly find a factory wood / metal or one that was already converted. Those Delta saws seem to run $400-500 for a wood only saw in good shape, and $250+ needing work. Set up with the gearbox for wood / metal they seem to run $700+.

This Davis & Wells saw popped up on the local CL for $250. They have a reputation for being very well made saws. They were also a California based company (we used to have a fair bit of industry here) which always intrigues me.

I went to take a look at it, and other than the funky night stand base it was in dirty but good condition, and is a very beefy saw, with lots of cast iron and character so it came home with me.
Based on the little I can find on these this is a pre-1940 saw (the door is open over the wheel centers, the later saws had an enclosed door with domes covering the wheels). It has a 1/2 hp, 120 / 240v motor with a manufacture date of 1960, and a sellers tag with an established date of 1973 so I'm guessing this saw was refurbished at least once and sold used in the 1970s or 80s. It is bolted to the "night stand" with square headed bolts, so the two have probably been paired together for some time.

I've not been able to find a lot on these saws even at the vintage machinery site. Because of the short name and the "&" the search here is not very helpful at turning up posts.
Curious if anyone has one of these saws and might be able to share some info on them. My plan is to install a gearbox like the Deltas to make it dual purpose metal / wood saw. I'll probably fabricate a steel base for it with wheels to replace the wooden base. It uses a 7 foot 7 inch (91") blade.
I haven't unloaded it yet, but do have a few photos from the ad.

1.jpg

3.jpg

Good looking saw Aaron, well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron,

Glad to see that you got that saw. I had been eyeballing it on CL for quite a while as I'm wanting to do the same thing you're doing. As you've said, the combo metal/wood cutting saws command a pretty high price and it just seems to me that one of the wood cutting only saws could be modified to metal cutting speeds. Be sure to post your progress.

Ted

Aaron,

Glad to see that you got that saw. I had been eyeballing it on CL for quite a while as I'm wanting to do the same thing you're doing. As you've said, the combo metal/wood cutting saws command a pretty high price and it just seems to me that one of the wood cutting only saws could be modified to metal cutting speeds. Be sure to post your progress.

Ted

Funny thing with this saw is I sent an email several weeks ago when it was first listed. I got no response and a few days later went to a fire for 2 weeks and figured it wasn't to be. Came home and Sunday night I saw it had an updated listing (only 3 days old) so I sent another email thinking maybe I got caught in a spam filter or something, and I got an instant response. I set up a time to look at it the next day.

For the price and time it had sat on CL I didn't have high hopes for it, thought there had to be something wrong with it. Got there and looked it over, it has a little bit of light surface rust, but everything is tight and what is supposed to move does so freely, none of the cast parts are cracked, no hokey fixes for missing bits. No idea why it sat, I'm wondering if there was a glitch with the original CL or maybe the seller was just really busy and had trouble scheduling time for people to look at it. Maybe nobody knows Davis & Wells.

Whatever the reason it sat, it came home with me, and I'm pretty happy with it. Got it unloaded from the truck, and it is a heavy sucker. ;)

It came with this cool Boomarang thing.

boomarang.jpg

I've casually been around woodworking pretty much my whole life and never seen anything like this. Apparently sort of a push stick for keeping your fingers clear when cutting small parts. It is actually pretty clever and I think it will be handy.

I've been watching for a 14" Delta bandsaw to either convert to a wood / metal or possibly find a factory wood / metal or one that was already converted. Those Delta saws seem to run $400-500 for a wood only saw in good shape, and $250+ needing work. Set up with the gearbox for wood / metal they seem to run $700+.

This Davis & Wells saw popped up on the local CL for $250. They have a reputation for being very well made saws. They were also a California based company (we used to have a fair bit of industry here) which always intrigues me.

I went to take a look at it, and other than the funky night stand base it was in dirty but good condition, and is a very beefy saw, with lots of cast iron and character so it came home with me.
Based on the little I can find on these this is a pre-1940 saw (the door is open over the wheel centers, the later saws had an enclosed door with domes covering the wheels). It has a 1/2 hp, 120 / 240v motor with a manufacture date of 1960, and a sellers tag with an established date of 1973 so I'm guessing this saw was refurbished at least once and sold used in the 1970s or 80s. It is bolted to the "night stand" with square headed bolts, so the two have probably been paired together for some time.

I've not been able to find a lot on these saws even at the vintage machinery site. Because of the short name and the "&" the search here is not very helpful at turning up posts.
Curious if anyone has one of these saws and might be able to share some info on them. My plan is to install a gearbox like the Deltas to make it dual purpose metal / wood saw. I'll probably fabricate a steel base for it with wheels to replace the wooden base. It uses a 7 foot 7 inch (91") blade.
I haven't unloaded it yet, but do have a few photos from the ad.

View attachment 333330

View attachment 333331
Aaron,
Not much help but I had a Davis and Wells table saw from the 20s that was fantastic--12" blade, heavy iron, dead-flat (to woodworking standards) table. I'm a big fan of the brand. I think you got a good score! The frame should be stout enough for the higher tension needed for metal cutting. You may want to rig up a way to easily release blade tension when you're not using it to minimize stress on the parts.

Here are a few things that might help:

Evan

Last edited:
Back