Dayshift after 35 years of NS .

Im up drinking coffee , the wifes up watching tv , the dogs are up wondering whats going on and the cats up and being annoying ! Wonder how long itll take my body to adjust ? :confused 3:

Im up drinking coffee , the wifes up watching tv , the dogs are up wondering whats going on and the cats up and being annoying ! Wonder how long itll take my body to adjust ? :confused 3:

It might take awhile.

I never worked the NS, but I don't go to bed till about 3 or 4 in the morning. It is nice and quiet that late, no phone calls, I just open the garage door and work when the wife heads for the bedroom at around 11. I still wake up early enough and serve her coffee in bed.

Enjoy the change.

5 years of nights for me. Five 12's, a 7 and a 6 for the last full year with no days off. Left that for my current day position 15 years ago. Five 8's for the past 7 yrs, love it.

I didn't mind nights back when I did it, but I will never go back.

Five 12's, a 7 and a 6 for the last full year with no days off

That is BRUTAL. sounds like oilfield work. I can only hope you were compensated appropriately.

That is BRUTAL. sounds like oilfield work. I can only hope you were compensated appropriately.

It was a job shop that landed a big contract with Northrop Grumman. We started getting 5 axis mills in at the time, three of them in the shop that final year (2004), and I hear they were up to 10 of them not long after I left.

Time and a half over 40 hours, double time on Sunday. The paychecks were nice, but my base pay was only about $19/hr back then (including the 15% differential pay). I would say that I was not compensated appropriately, but for a job shop it was about right I guess.

NOW, however ... I do oilfield work, haha.

My favorite schedule was 3 x 10 with 4 days off. That's why I was in a bar on a Wednesday night and met my first wife. Brought the whole thing to a screeching halt.

I’ve been working NS since I was 18 years old. Almost 37 now. I enjoy the day time off. I can get a lot done. Shifts are Sunday night at 11pm to 7:30 am, 5 days a week. Weekend starts at 8am Friday morning.

At least you didn't have to work rotating shifts.

I worked 11pm-7am shift for about 25 years. Last 3, many nights were 12/16 hours. Sometimes may work until 3pm, or go in at 7pm until 11am. That was unsettling. When I switched to day shift, 7am-3pm it was nice. Did take me a month or so to get used to the change. Found I enjoyed waking up early! Although the first 5 years or so on days, I was still working 72-88 hour weeks. Very happy when that slowed down. Although it was rather a abrupt slow down. Announced would close in 1 year, and it did, lol.

Back