DC Tredmill motor HELP!

on mine the blue wires were a thermal limit and they were in series with the incoming power to shut down if there is an overtemp .
steve

Seve is correct on the blue wires. Should be wired in series with the power in to the motor. Not sure on the effect of a 10k pot vs a 5k. I measured the pot on the control panel from the treadmill. I actually use the origional slider pot until I got to Radio Shack to get a rotary. Probably wouldn't hurt to try it.
I removed the thermal switch and blue wires from my motors.

Chuck

break the wiper wire on the pot to put your machine start & stop switch in that way you come back to the same speed you left the pot at

Re-starting at the same spped depends on the controller. Treadmills by design, like the SEIG lathes and mills, are set up to soft start. In other words, speed control must be returned to zero and then advanced to start the motor. Imagine someone climbing on to a treadmill after you finish running on it and it takes off at your last speed! Wham! They get flung across the room, or flipped onto their face!

Chuck

you are not on a treadmill anymore it is used on a machine trust me it will work like that, you still have the soft start but the speed is where you left it on the pot so you don't have to find the speed setting all over again

Thank you guys! I will give that a try. You have all been SOOO helpful. Thank you again.......

At low speeds if you get a hum from the motor and it feels rough add a choke coil in one of the leads to the motor and some times a small cap an AC motor run cap if you put it close to the motor.
These will take the lows away and add a ramp to smooth the current.
Just 2 Cents
dwdw47

At low speeds if you get a hum from the motor and it feels rough add a choke coil in one of the leads to the motor and some times a small cap an AC motor run cap if you put it close to the motor.
These will take the lows away and add a ramp to smooth the current.
Just 2 Cents
dwdw47

Thank you so much for the info. I do have that problem. Now I have to show my ignorance....what's a choke coil and where do I get one? Also, do I use both the choke coil and a start cap?

I wish I had this info a week ago, cuz I just bought a new motor. I still have this old motor too, but I couldn't get the low end to work smoothly. So I got a new sewing machine motor that jumps4 showed on his lathe. It is so smooth and quiet. I can't wait to get it mounted.

If I can figure out the choke coil and cap, I will use this on another project. Thanks again........

The choke coil is easy enough to make your self. There is a couple different ways of making one If you have a 24 volt transformer that the output it should have a 15 amp output. Just use that in series with one of the wire going to the motor. Just tape off the 120 volt wires (primary). You may want to try a resistor across the 120v side.
Second way is a little crude but works, wind about 50-80 turns of 14 or 12 gage insulated wire (solid is easier to get flat layers around a 1.25" or 1.5" diameter rod about 3-4" long then make a steel box frame (1/4" or larger in thickness) around the rod making sure you leave a 1/32 gap at one end of the round stock and same thing install in series with one of the leads going to the motor.
The capacitor can't be a motor start only a motor run and put it across the output of your power supply.Use a high value cap 40+ Mfd, if you feel the cap get warm put a 10 ohm 50 watt resistor in series with one lead at the cap.
These are crude work around. I have found nice chokes on the treadmills.
dwdw47

Thank you so much for the info. I do have that problem. Now I have to show my ignorance....what's a choke coil and where do I get one? Also, do I use both the choke coil and a start cap?

I wish I had this info a week ago, cuz I just bought a new motor. I still have this old motor too, but I couldn't get the low end to work smoothly. So I got a new sewing machine motor that jumps4 showed on his lathe. It is so smooth and quiet. I can't wait to get it mounted.

If I can figure out the choke coil and cap, I will use this on another project. Thanks again........

Back