Dead AC Motor?

Centrifugal switch jammed up or stuck somehow is my guess- happens after many years sometimes
mark

Hi Bill,

Did you get any resolution as to the reason the motor failed ?

I've had some other projects interrupt so the motors been sitting. Have a Karate thing with my son today but I may see if I can get to it tonight and at least check the resistance across the coils.

It seems the run coil is shorted out. I put a millimeter on it last night to see what the resistances were and it was shorted out almost completely. Not sure why it wasn't popping the breaker right off the bat.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your reply.
I'm not sure that you used the right meter setting to measure the winding resistance. As you rightly say, if the coil was shorted it would pop the breaker. From your video, it was obvious that it didn't.

You need to use an ohmmeter to measure resistance !
Using the ohms range on your meter, compare the resistances of the windings. If the motor is still apart you will need to measure between the ends of each of the two stator coils. Whilst is is apart check the motor bearings. Look for any signs of rubbing on the rotor and inside the stator.

I hope that this leads towards salvaging the old motor.

If it just hums the run winding likely good and not shorted.

Start winding or start capacitor if equipped bad.

Look for switch apparatus at end of motor.

Likely not closing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

What type/ brand of meter did you use? Most cannot measure very low resistances accurately (5 ohms or so) you would need around a RX1 range to do it with a mid-scale of about 50 ohms or so
mark

It was a decent brand, not fluke and don't remember right now without heading down to the shop. Although it is quite old. It may have been just really low resistance showing shorted. I did give up on it and the motor went out with the last trash pickup :~(

Hi Guys,

With the price of copper today, those windings would have ended up in my copper scrap bin. The last batch I took netted £28. about $36.
Electronic circuit boards are very profitable as well, but you do need a lot.

completely forgot about that, I do have a copper scrap pile saved for either melting down or recycling. I was kind of at the point that I really wanted to move on from that and get to the work I needed the motor to do.

Back